This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DAIRY IN TEMPLE GARDENS TO WEST OF WARDOUR CASTLE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DAIRY IN TEMPLE GARDENS TO WEST OF WARDOUR CASTLE

List entry Number: 1146005

Location

DAIRY IN TEMPLE GARDENS TO WEST OF WARDOUR CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Tisbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321063

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TISBURY WARDOUR PARK ST 92 NW (north side)

4/273 Dairy in Temple Gardens to west of Wardour Castle

GV II

Ornamental dairy. Dated 1794 on rainwater head. Limestone ashlar with domed lead roof. Circular, with semi-circular west portico of four egg and dart unfluted columns, fluted frieze with paterae to Doric entablature, and parapet. Right return has lead rainwater head with date 1794. Rear has semi-circular projection to centre with oculus. Circular interior of portico has double 8-panelled doors and semi-circular niche either side. Interior not accessible at time of survey (January 1986), but said to have stone bench around walls, formerly lined with tiles, octagonal lantern to centre of domed roof. Part of the informal garden layout around Wardour Castle, the detail is very similar to the house and suggests that it may have been designed by Paine or by Soane who worked on the chapel, 1789-90.

Listing NGR: ST9271226986

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,

National Grid Reference: ST 92718 26984

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146005 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:16:44.

End of official listing