This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GEORGIAN BOATHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GEORGIAN BOATHOUSE

List entry Number: 1146058

Location

THE GEORGIAN BOATHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Fonthill Bishop

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320894

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FONTHILL GIFFORD FONTHILL PARK ST 93 SW (north side)

1/105 The Georgian Boathouse 6.1.66

GV II*

Boathouse or water temple. Mid C18. Limestone ashlar, vaulted roof covered in earth. Plan represents an aisled 'basilica' with transepts and apsidal west end, the wet dock being the 'nave' of 3 bays and 'crossing' and the walkways being the 'aisles', although the latter are now under water. Only entrance is from the lake, partly collapsed, with three semi-circular arches on square piers with foliage-carved capitals. Interior has barrel-vaulted 'nave' and 'aisles' on square piers with vermiculated capitals and pilasters, semi-circular niche in wall to each bay, 'crossing' is oval wet dock with domed ceiling and aisles carried round the curved walls, apsed west end with partly collapsed west wall with some rustic stonework. Probably part of Alderman William Beckford's building and landscape work in Fonthill Park between 1740 and 1755, associated with Fonthill Splendens. (J. Harris, Fonthill, Wiltshire in Country Life, 24th November 1966; engraving in John Rutter, Delineations of Fonthill, 1823)

Listing NGR: ST9342032686

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Rutter, J, Delineations of Fonthill, (1823)
'Country Life' in 24 November, (1966)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,

National Grid Reference: ST 93420 32686

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146058 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:38:38.

End of official listing