RED LION HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1146069

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Jun-2003

Statutory Address: RED LION HOUSE, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED LION HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146069 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 19:14:06.

Location

Statutory Address: RED LION HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hindon

National Grid Reference: ST 91080 32846

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HINDON HIGH STREET ST 9132 (east side)

9/131 Red Lion House (Formerly known as Croylands) 6.1.66 GV II

House at end of row. Mid C18 and early C19. Rendered brick to front, with chamfered rusticated quoins, English bond to return, tiled hipped roof, brick stacks. Gable end to road. Two storey, 3-window road front has two 12-pane sashes to both floors and moulded stone eaves cornice, to left is early C19 three-storey unit with 12-pane sash to ground and first floor and 9-pane sash to second floor. Right return has 6-panelled door in pilastered porch, two 3-light casements, steel casement and 6-panelled door to right. First floor has 2-light leaded casement with arched lights to left, two 3-light casements and one steel casement to right, brick dentilled eaves cornice. Hipped dormer to attic with 2-light leaded casement. To right is garage with sashes to rear. Rear of main range has 12-pane tripartite sash to early C19 bay, various other sashes and C20 aluminium casements. Interior not accessible at time of survey (December 1985). C18 part of house probably a rebuilding following the fire of 1754. Was the Red Lion Inn in C18, and later the vicarage up to 1932. (N Sheard, The History of Hindon, 1979)

Listing NGR: ST9108032846

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320921

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sheard, N, The History of Hindon, (1979)

End of official listing