This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GROTTO TO NORTH EAST OF OLD WARDOUR CASTLE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GROTTO TO NORTH EAST OF OLD WARDOUR CASTLE

List entry Number: 1146103

Location

GROTTO TO NORTH EAST OF OLD WARDOUR CASTLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Donhead St. Andrew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320806

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DONHEAD ST. ANDREW ST 92 NW 4/308

WARDOUR PARK (east side)

Grotto to north east of Old Wardour Castle

GV

II

Grotto. 1792 by Josiah Lane of Tisbury. Tufa limestone. Situated on bank near north east line of bailey wall and approached up flight of wide stone steps, several entrances and rocky niches at different levels, interior with rocky tunnels. Built within the bailey of Old Wardour Castle (q.v.) as part of the landscape scheme to create pleasure gardens at Old Wardour; Richard Woods was employed by Eighth Lord Arundell between 1764 and 1771, Capability Brown worked here from 1773. Also see grottoes at Fonthill (q.v.). (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; D. Stroud, Capability Brown, 1979)

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1146104. This entry was removed from the List on 19th February 2016.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22nd February 2016.

Listing NGR: ST9393526383

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Stroud, D, Capability Brown, (1975)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,

National Grid Reference: ST 93935 26383

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146103 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:12:38.

End of official listing