HYDES HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEPIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1146122

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Statutory Address: HYDES HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEPIERS, ST MARYS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HYDES HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEPIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 06:08:58.

Location

Statutory Address: HYDES HOUSE WITH ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEPIERS, ST MARYS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Dinton

National Grid Reference: SU 00858 31713

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 03 SW DINTON ST MARYS ROAD (west side)

1/163 Hydes House with attached walls and gatepiers 23.3.60 GV Detached house. Early C18 rebuilding of earlier house on site. Limestone ashlar and rubble stone with quoins, tiled hipped mansard roof, stone stacks with moulded cappings. L-plan with rear additions. Two-storey and attic, 1:3:1-window south front, centre three break forward. Central double half-glazed doors with pediment on engaged Ionic columns and pulvinated frieze, two 12- pane sashes in moulded architraves with keystones either side. Plat band to first floor: five sashes in moulded architraves with keystones, modillioned cornice and pediment with oval light over centre, two 6-pane sashes to flat-headed attic dormers. Right return, now entrance front, has ledged door with integral transom light and C20 flat wooden hood on brackets, 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned casements to right; first floor has blocked window and two sashes in moulded architraves, modillioned cornice, three 6-pane sashes to attic dormers. Left return has sashes to right and mullioned casement to basement, outshut to rear has French windows, now the dining room and built as the billiard room, early C20. Rear addition to right also early C20, central stair projection has round-arched sash, modillioned cornice to steep hipped roof, rear 2-storey integral wing to left has ledged door in beaded segmental-headed architrave, 2-light mullioned casement to rear, lean-to extension with slate roof. Interior: Main reception rooms on south side have 6-panelled doors in moulded architraves, bolection-moulded panelling, egg and dart moulded cornices, window shutters; south east room has white marble fireplace, south west room has bolection-moulded fireplace. Rear entrance hall has some reset C17 wainscot panelling, some also reset in kitchen doors and cupboards. Rubble stone wall with pitched coping, between 2 and 4 metres high, runs from east side of house to entrance gate piers: chamfered-rusticated piers on moulded plinths, with ball finials, cast-iron C19 gate. House restored in early C20 by Bertram Phillips and given to the National Trust in 1943. Formerly the rectory and occupied by the Hyde family; Edward Hyde was born here 1609 and became the first Earl of Clarendon. (Country-Life, December 17th, 1943)

Listing NGR: SU0085831713

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320749

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 17 December, (1943)

End of official listing