This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

REDDISH HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REDDISH HOUSE

List entry Number: 1146140

Location

REDDISH HOUSE, SOUTH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Broad Chalke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Dec-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320692

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 02 NW BROAD CHALKE SOUTH STREET (south side)

4/106 Reddish House (formerly listed as Reddish Manor and stables) 23.3.60 GV II

Detached house. Early C18, for Jeremiah Cray, a clothier. Flemish bond brick on limestone plinth with stone quoins, hipped tiled roof with large gable end panelled brick stacks. Two-storey and attic, 4-window north front. Central 6-panelled door up stone steps with cast-iron handrails, moulded architrave and segmental pediment on consoles with bust above, two 12-pane sashes in moulded architraves either side, pulvinated plat band over lintels. Four 12-pane sashes in moulded architraves to first floor with plat band over lintels. Centre two bays flanked by giant Composite pilasters carried up to dentilled brick cornice and pediment with oval window in bayleaf surround. Right return has 12-pane sashes. Attached to left is late C18 two-storey wing with two 12-pane sashes to both floors, brick dentilled cornice to hipped tiled roof, to left of this is range of single-storey brick outbuildings and carriage house. Rear has central pedimented doorway with 12-pane sash with keystones either side and two to first floor, late C18 two-storey wing projecting to right has 12-pane sashes and hipped roof. Interior not accessible at time of survey (March 1986), but said to have central hall with Tuscan scagliola columns, bolection-moulded fireplace and stairs with wrought iron balustrade. Drawing room with apsed alcove flanked by Ionic columns, modillioned ceiling cornices. It is probable that some of the interior was remodelled by Cecil Beaton who spent the last years of his life here and died 1980. (Illustrated in sale particulars of 1980; Country Life, March 21, 1957)

Listing NGR: SU0385825259

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 21 March, (1957)

National Grid Reference: SU 03858 25259

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146140 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:34:29.

End of official listing