CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1146266
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146266.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 00:32:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Teffont
National Grid Reference:
ST 99151 31186

Details

ST 93 SE TEFFONT TEFFONT EVIAS (east side)

1/168 Church of St. Michael and All Angels

6.1.66 (formerly listed as Church, dedication unknown)

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C16, C17, rebuilt 1824-26 by Charles Fowler for John Mayne of Teffont Manor (q.v.). Rubble stone, Welsh slate roof, fishscale tiles to aisle and chapel. Consists of nave, C19 north aisle, north west tower with spire, chancel, north chapel of 1630, south vestry, south porch. Gabled C19 porch has pointed doorway with square hoodmould, heraldic arms of Maynes and date 1824, saddleback coped verges with kneelers and pinnacles. South side of nave has 2-light pointed window with Y-tracery either side of porch, diagonal buttresses and coped verges with pinnacles. Gabled south vestry of 1824 has 2-light Perpendicular-style window, coped verges to roof. Chancel has pointed priests door with hoodmould, offset buttresses, east end has 3-light pointed window with hoodmould with carved head terminals, battlemented parapet. North Ley chapel has two 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, battlemented parapet with lead initials ML/1630 (Matthew Ley) and stone griffins holding shields. North aisle has three 2-light Perpendicular-style windows with scrolled terminals to hoodmoulds. Three-stage north west tower has setback buttresses and string courses, first stage has hollow-chamfered west doorway and 2-light window to south, second stage has pointed window with quatrefoil pierced louvres, bellstage has pair of pointed windows with quatrefoil-pierced louvres, parapet with quatrefoils and corner spirelets, recessed spire with 2-light gablet to each face. Three-sided stair turret with loopholes in south-west angle. West end of nave has 3-light geometric-style window recessed between buttresses of former belfrey, wheel window over. Interior: Double-chamfered inner doorway with blind quatrefoil over, reset C17 and C18 tablets to Davis family in porch. Nave has rib-panelled pointed barrel vaulted ceiling with foliated bosses, flagstone floors, tall pointed west arch with C17 mouldings. Four- bay north aisle has tall pointed arcade on Perpendicular-moulded piers, C19 arch-braced collar roof. Tall pointed chancel arch and arch to Ley Chapel have similar mouldings to arcade. Chancel has similar ceiling to nave, two arches to chapel, two pointed doorways in south wall. Chapel has 3-bay arch-braced collar roof, polychrome tiled floor, C17 panelled partition and gate with cock's head hinges to north aisle, contains good group of tombs with effigies; Henry Ley died 1574 and sons Matthew died 1632 and William died 1624, semi-circular sgraffito panel on east wall by de Triqueti, 1863, marble tablet to Maynes by F. Brown, 1770, slate and stone tablet with arms to Henry Ley, died 1574. Early C19 reredos with blind arcading, pulpit and reader's desk in same style, C17-style bench ends to nave pews, early C19 box pews to sides. Hanoverian arms over south door by J.G. Bubb, 1820. Glass contains reset Medieval glass with C17 pictorial roundels; assembled 1950s. (N, Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Parish Guide, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST9913631187

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320394
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Teffont Parish Guide, (1975)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10150/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].