HANNAH MORE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1146382

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Statutory Address: HANNAH MORE HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HANNAH MORE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146382 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 13:04:14.

Location

Statutory Address: HANNAH MORE HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Blagdon

National Grid Reference: ST 50532 58776

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 55 NW BLAGDON C.P. CHURCH STREET (east side)

10/29 Hannah More House 9.2.61 II

Detached house. C17 with C20 restoration. Limewashed rubble with dressed stone openings, some wooden lintels to the rear and C20 double Roman tile roof. U-shaped plan with 2 rear gabled wings projecting from main south facing section set at right-angles to road. South front of 2 storeys, 3 windows. Windows are 2, 3 and 4-light cavetto moulded mullions with hoodmoulds except the central 2 windows to both floors which are similar C20 wood mullions. All the stone mullions are also C20 replacements set into the original C17 openings. 2 brick stacks. Further 3 and 4-light C17 ovolo wooden mullions to rear gable ends; C20 wooden mullions and plank door to west, roadside facade. Social reformer Hannah More is stated to have used the house as a schoolroom during her residence at Wrington from about 1783 to 1833.

Listing NGR: ST5053258776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33897

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing