CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1146388
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146388.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 18:26:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Blagdon
National Grid Reference:
ST 50412 58973

Details

ST 55 NW BLAGDON C.P. CHURCH STREET (west side)

10/31 Church of St. Andrew 9.2.61 G.V. II*

Anglican parish church. C15 west tower, remainder 1907-9 by Sir Frank Wills. Closely jointed squared and coursed dressed stone to tower, rockfaced rubble squared and coursed with ashlar dressings to remainder. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch. Impressive tall tower of 4 stages with set back buttresses and moulded string courses, taller polygonal north east corner stair turret with crocketted pyramidal cap and pierced quatrefoil lozenge parapet with crocketted pinnacles. West face has deeply moulded pointed-arched doorway with early C20 two-leaf plank door and above, a tall 4-light window under pointed head. 2nd stage has an aedicula with crocketted side shafts and canopy in which is set a statue of Christ as the Good Shepherd. 3rd stage has 2-light blind window as on both 2nd and 3rd stages to both north and south faces. Bell stage has pointed-arched openings with panelled blind tracery. Crocketted shafts between these and at the corners developing from the buttresses. Remainder of the church is in a mechanical Perpendicular style with 3-light windows and pierced trefoil triangular parapets with slender crocketted pinnacles and rich gargoyles. Interior. Fine 4-bay nave arcades with wave moulded pointed arches and foliage capitals that are closer in style to Decorated rather than Perpendicular. Tower has 2 orders of wave moulding to arch and fan vault to bell chamber. Rafter roofs throughout. Chancel south wall has piscina with C12 frieze of the 4 Evangelists under canopies. Fittings. Complete set of contemporary fittings comprising font, pulpit, rood screen, chancel screens, tower arch screen and pews (all 1907-9). Several wall monuments reset under tower; royal coat of arms on tower north wall: painted wooden panel dated 1826. North tower arch jamb has a framed letter of c.1767 written by the Rev. Augustus Toplady. Particularly fine set of stained glass in all windows dating from the rebuilding: Old Testament figures in the north aisle, New Testament figures in the south aisle. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5041258973

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33899
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07546/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Bassingham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].