This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HART LANE WATER TOWER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HART LANE WATER TOWER

List entry Number: 1146452

Location

HART LANE WATER TOWER, HART LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Luton

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1981

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 35822

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HART LANE 1. 5123 Hart Lane Water Tower TL 12 SW 7/3 II

2. 1901. Luton grey bricks with red brick dressings and terra cotta decoration, Stone slates. Octagonal plan, 4 storeys. Conical roof, deep projecting eaves, surmounted by finial. Smaller, similar, demi-tower on west face, reaching up to fourth floor housing staircase: two square headed casement windows in line under one with cambered head. Roof of main tower has 4 gables near apex and 4 gabled dormers set lower down in roof. Decorative terracotta frieze below eaves. Top stage has square recessed panels filled alternately with six-light casement windows with glazing barn, flanked by pilasters and surmounted with keystone, and similar blank arcades. Two moulded bands beneath run around the tower, containing on all except the west face a recessed rectangular panel with guilloche decoration in terracotta. The lower three floors, apart from the west face, are contained within three storey recesses with cambered heads with series of terracotta mouldings including one with foliated decoration. In each recess is a second storey round headed window with glazing bars, with keystone and dripmould above, moulded band and apron below. In alternate recesses there is also a first storey square headed window with glazing bars, with drip mould above and moulded band and apron below. The tower was erected following the drought of 1898 which left Stopsley without water (W Austin, Luton and Its Hamlet, 1928, II p 213).

Listing NGR: TL1005422080

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Austin, W, Luton and Its Hamlet, (1928), 213

National Grid Reference: TL 10054 22080

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146452 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 12:54:53.

End of official listing