ROSEMERRYN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1146478

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Statutory Address: ROSEMERRYN HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROSEMERRYN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146478 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 23:21:03.

Location

Statutory Address: ROSEMERRYN HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Budock

National Grid Reference: SW 78340 30026

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 73 SE BUDOCK 3/16 Rosemerryn House 10.7.57 GV II*

Country house. Circa 1720. Dressed killas and killas rubble, granite ashlar plinth. Wooden lintels over openings at the front. Dry Delabole slate roofs (laid with diminishing courses at the front) hipped returned ends at the front, hipped end on left of parallel roof over stair hall, gable ends to rear wings. Axial stone stack over cross wall towards left and another stack over rear wall of right-hand room. Plan: Large overall U-shaped plan. Probably original L-shaped with stair hall wing in the inner (rear) angle between front range with parlour (left) and hall (right) and probably original service wing at right angles behind the hall. Later C18 service wing at right angles behind the parlour. Between the parlour and larger hall is a large entrance hall linked to large stair hall (under separate roof) behind. Exterior: 2 storeys (plus attics in rear right-hand wing). Symmetrical 7 window north west front with central doorway. C18 6-panel door within original distyle pedimented stone porch with Gibbs style rustications and Ionic capitals. Circa mid- C18 18-pane hornless sashes with wide glazing bars and most of the original crown glass. Moulded brackets to moulded eaves cornice. Interior: Partly inspected. Parlour has original moulded ribbed plaster ceiling with central diamond within double oval and bordered by rectangular panels. Original open-well stair with twist balusters over an open string. Rosemerryn is on an ancient site. First known record is 1283. In 1721, J.L. Mason paid rates on Rosmerryn. In 1746, it was occupied by Richard Mason, Esq., but the family was reduced in a few years and the mansion was going to ruin. In 1773, Capt. Peter Brown, of the Packet "King George", purchased the estate. He married Mary, daughter of Capt. John Trounde, and was sheriff of Cornwall in 1775. Source: Extracted from notes supplied by Jane Pollard.

Listing NGR: SW7834030026

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66435

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing