This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF ST JOHN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1146561

Location

CHAPEL OF ST JOHN, THE SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hartland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91250

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTLAND THE SQUARE (west side), Hartland SS 2524

12/184 Chapel of St John

20.2.58

GV II

Church of England Chapel. 1839. Built at the instigation of the then rector, William Chanter. Stone rubble walls. Gable ended slate roof. Plan: rectangular plan running north-south with 2 storey porch on east side. Exterior: each long side wall is of 5 bays divided by rubble buttresses with offsets, on east side bays 1, 4 and 5 have original 2-light Y-tracery windows with 2 centred heads. Windows on west wall are on bays 1, 3 and 5. Similar style 3-light window on south wall. Large crenellated 2 storey porch on each side in central bay which has 4-centred rubble arch and set-back buttresses at corners. Original clock above arch with datestone of 1839. Timber bell-cote above. Original gates to doorway and panelled double doors inside in 2-centred head doorway. This building replaced the town hall which was a C17 arcaded structure.

Listing NGR: SS2588624416

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 25886 24416

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146561 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 04:11:54.

End of official listing