CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146587.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 03:41:34.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 06210 21829
EDENHAM MAIN STREET
TF 02 SE (east side)
7/134 Church of St. Michael and 30.10.68 All Angels
Parish church. C8, C12, C13, C15, early C16, 1808. Ashlar, squared and coursed limestone rubble, lead roofs, battlemented parapets and stepped buttresses throughout. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch, vestry. The 4 stage C16 ashlar tower has stepped clasping corner buttresses, shields in quatrefoil frieze to parapet, grotesque and human head chutes. To the belfry stage are tall 2 light louvred openings with cusped transoms and heads, quatrefoils over, rounded head and hood mould. The west doorway has a C13 base but was recut C16 with deeply recessed 4 centred arch set in a heavily moulded rectangular surround with quatrefoils to the spandrels. Above is a large 5 light 4 centred arched headed window with panel tracery. Immediately below the string course to the third stage is the matrix of a brass, now inside the Church, to St. Thomas of Canterbury. To the second stage is a 3 light window with shallow 4 centred head and hood mould. The north aisle west window is C15 of 3 lights with cusped heads to the lights. In the north wall are 3 tall 2 light windows with cusping below the transoms and ogee heads to the lights, with quatrefoils over, and a similar blocked light in the east wall. The 2 westernmost windows are set in full height openings. The blocked north doorway has a deeply moulded 4 centred surround. To the west of the door, beneath the parapet is a small blocked C14 niche decorated with a small cat's head and fleurons. The 2 pointed north windows of the chancel are blocked. The east window is C19 in a C15 opening, of 5 lights with panel tracery. C19 vestry with 3 light east window and 2 doorways to south. The south aisle and porch have ornate friezes of quatrefoils and lozenges. In the south wall 2 three light C14 windows and in the east wall a single window with cusped ogee heads to the lights and pointed surrounds. West of the porch a 2 light window, also with ogee heads and a rectangular surround. C14 gabled porch with floriated buttresses, pointed outer arch with octagonal responds and capitals with shields to either side. Above a nodding ogee. Early C13 pointed inner doorway has angle shafts with floriate capitals and heavily moulded head with dogtoothing. Interior. Early C13 4 bay nave arcades having quatrefoil piers having slender collared shafts to the angles, annular capitals and heavily moulded arches. Tall C16 tower arch having circular responds with tall facetted splayed bases, octagonal capitals and double chamfered arch. In the south aisle at the west end is an C8 relief carvedfoliate roundel resting on a contemporary projecting plain string course. This feature was cut by the insertion of the early C13 nave arcade and appears to be in situ. At the east end of the aisle at the same level is a similar roundel and string course suggesting that there was originally an entire scheme of external decoration to the Anglo Saxon nave. Nave roof is C16 with moulded arch braced cambered ties, supported by octagonal embattled corbels. Although restored the roof retains much original wood and some contemporary angel supporters. The aisle roofs are also C16 and have moulded principals, and carved bosses. Early C13 chancel arch with rounded responds and capitals with 2 orders of quirked roll moulding to the head, possibly recut in 1808. In the chancel side walls are 2 C16 4 centred arched doorways with moulded surrounds. C15 chancel roof having arch braced cambered ties and to the spandrels and ridge are pierced friezes of triskeles and trefoil headed panels. In the north aisle is the west doorway of a C12 chapel of ease built at Scottlethorpe by the Huntingfield family, it was re-erected here in 1967. The doorway has paired angle shafts with simple cushion capitals and 2 orders of roll moulding. On the keystone of the inner order is a crudely carved face. The tympanum has a sunk panel bearing lightly incised zigzag and geometric figures. Fittings. A complete set of C16 pews, restored C19 having pierced quatrefoils to the back and side panels and carved cusped blank arches to the ends with 6 carved poppy heads. At the east end of the nave are C18 Gothick pulpit, readers desk, and Ancaster family pews to north and south, having pierced trefoils and quatrefoils and cusped blank arches to the panels. Above the chancel arch a handsome carved alabaster set of the Royal Arms c.1808. C12 circular font having engaged shafts with scrolled capitals to the sides, joined by paired arches, with foliage to the decoration of the upper parts. At the west end of the nave is a C8 morticed base of an Anglo Saxon cross shaft, tapering rectangular shape. The sides are ornamented with tight interlace and on one front is a seated female figure beneath a panel containing interlacing foliage. C19 stained glass in the north aisle by Baille and Mayer 1865. Miniature brass originally on the external west face of the tower, now reset on the west wall of the chancel depicting a mitred Bishop reputedly St. Thomas of Canterbury. Monuments. In the tower are 2 pairs of C14 effigies, one a civilian and his wife much abraded, the other a knight with chain and plate armour and close fitting helm. She with a nodding ogee canopy with crockets and figure of the Virgin, now supported on a C15 tomb chest, with shields to the side panels. Also 7 white marble monuments to members of the Heathcote family removed from the church at Normanton in Rutland in 1972. At the east end of the north aisle is a large wall monument to Robert Bertie, First Earl of Lindsey, killed at the Battle of Edgehill, 1642, and his son Montague. The 2 memorial tablets have moulded base and cornice and are surmounted by the cartouche of arms and the Ancaster cannon. To the sides are military trophies in high relief and at the base, arms, anchors and helms. Also a wall monument to Richard Bertie, d.1686, consisting of large swagged and scrolled cartouche surmounted by an urn and cornucupia and bearing 2 scrolled inscription panels, a shield of arms with palms supported by 2 putti. On the north wall are 3 C20 wall monuments to members of the Willoughby family in early C18 style of coloured marble. In the chancel a huge marble monument by Scheemakers and H. Cheere to Robert Bertie, First Duke of Ancaster, d.1723, in the form of a classical aedicule with Corinthian capitals supporting open dentillated pediment with garland, urns and putti. Before the aedicule a rounded pedestal supports a marble image of the deceased attired as a Roman General. A monument to Peregrine, Second Duke of Ancaster, died 1741, by Roubiliac, flat obelisk before which stands life sized carving of the deceased leaning on an urn, in Roman dress, a putto holding a medal lion of the Duchess Jane. On the south side a monument to the Third Duke of Ancaster, d.1778 and Fourth Duke, d.1779, by Charles Harris of London. Pointed back panel of black marble before which is a carving of the deceased seated in ducal robes, holding a cameo of the Duchess, beside him stands the fourth Duke in Roman dress. The figures are flanked by urns. The base is carved with flutes and paterae and to the centre are bronze plates bearing the memorial inscription. Above the north door is a semi-circular headed wall plaque with acanthus corbels to the Hon. Fred. Burrell, d.1819, depicting the deceased, a babe, being borne to Heaven by angels against a background of palm trees. Nearby a freestanding square marble shaft bears a bust of Peter Burrell, the First Lord Gwydyr, d.1820 by Nollekens. Finally, a large, semi-circular headed sideboard tomb supporting a black sarcophagus with gadrooned top and lions feet, erected 1738. Commemorates 7 members of the Bertie family. The rear has a marble surround with egg and dart moulding and scrolled imposts with cartouche of arms to the top. Within are 7 classical busts, supported on moulded corbels.
Listing NGR: TF0621321830
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing