CHURCH OF ST GILBERT AND ST HUGH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1146623

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILBERT AND ST HUGH, RISEGATE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILBERT AND ST HUGH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146623 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:43:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILBERT AND ST HUGH, RISEGATE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland (District Authority)

Parish: Gosberton

National Grid Reference: TF 20184 29742

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GOSBERTON RISEGATE ROAD TF 22 NW (south side) 7/59 Church of St.Gilbert and St.Hugh I Chapel of Ease. 1902-4 by Bucknall and Comper. Brick plinth. Timber frame, nave with render panels, rendered brick chancel, with ashlar dressings, Collyweston slate roof. Nave with eastern bellcote, chancel, south porch, vestry. Walls have diagonal braces and rails. At the west end a 5 light timber Perpendicular window with arched heads to the lights. Above a slightly shallower similar window. In the gable a rectangular louvred panel. The nave walls have deeply coved eaves. North wall of 4 bays marked by vertical posts, with 4 five light windows matching those in the west end. At the east end of the nave an open gabled bellcote with lead roof and timber supports. Chancel north wall is in rendered brickwork with a 3 light ashlar window with cusped heads to the lights. Angled stepped corner buttresses. At the east end a similar 3 light window but with triangular head. Above an ogee headed lancet to the gable and a cross fleury. Beneath an inscribed stone recording the foundation of the church in 1902. The chancel south wall matches that to the north. The vestry has a 5 light timber window in the east and a plank and muntin door with 4 centred arched head on the west. On the south side 2 further 5 light timber windows. Gabled south porch, with 4 centred open outer doorway and glazed side panels, with 4 lights to the porch sides. Side benches. Plank and muntin double doors to interior. Interior. Nave has vertical wall posts with chamfered tie beams and swept braces. Studding to east wall above chancel opening. Coved chancel ceiling with brattishing to cornice. Stained glass in east window by Comper. Fittings. Corner pillar piscina with ogee headed and brattished top. Chancel rail in C17 style with splat balusters. Octagonal font with traceried side panels and shaft with ogee headed panels.

Listing NGR: TF2018429742

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 198173

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing