This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1146647



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Elmstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 120057

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/3 Elmstead Hall 21/2/50 GV II*

House. C15 and C16 of earlier origin with later alterations and additions. Timber framed and plastered. Red plain tiled roofs, projecting eaves cornices. 2 repaired C16 red brick attached diagonal shaft chimney stacks, forward off centre right stack and plastered left end stack. Original bargeboards to end and rear gables. 2 storeys and attics. Central hall with crosswings to right and left. Rear wings including stair turret. 2:4:2 window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes. Central 6 -panelled door, moulded surround, flat canopy on brackets, bargeboards and band to gables. Internal features include large good quality C16 frame incorporating an earlier, possibly C15, formerly jettied east crosswing. Jowled storey posts, halved and bridled scarf joints and very deep section floor joists. Good quality wind braced side purlin roof, with double wall plates and interrupted tie beams for attic headroom. Solid tread staircase to attics, C17 and C18 panelling, the room above the hall with fluted pilasters and moulded cornice. Original doorways with 4 centred heads, sunk spandrels and carved stops. 2 blocked windows with moulded mullions and transoms. Several C16 and C17 doors. C18 corner cupboard with strapwork pilasters and shell hood to ground floor. In the attic but not in-situ are several C17/C18 iron windows with swan neck catches, also a C19 cast iron fire surround with tiled sides. The present occupier has photographs of original wall paintings of grotesques, discovered by Mrs. Mitchell, 1928, which are said to survive behind a wall panel. There is a copy of part of the design and an article giving a date circa 1560 by G. Montague-Benton, Transactions, Essex Archaeological Society Vol. XXI Part I. RCHM 3.

Listing NGR: TM0642326001

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)
Benton Montague, G, 'Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society: Part 1, , Vol. 21, ()

National Grid Reference: TM 06423 26001


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:55:11.

End of official listing