CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1146810
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146810.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:13:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Upton
National Grid Reference:
SK 86855 86744

Details

SK 88 NE UPTON HIGH STREET (east side)

2/72 Church of 16.12.64 All Saints

G.V. II*

Parish church. Mid C11, late C12, early C13, C14, 1776, 1867, restored by Ewan Christian; 1874-5 north aisle mostly rebuilt by James Fowler; 1880 chancel re-stored by James Fowler. Coursed limestone and blue lias rubble; limestone and ironstone herringbone rubble; limestone and ironstone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with north aisle, long chancel with north vestry. West tower of 1776 with plinth, 2 stage clasping buttresses and 3 stages. Single lancet with hood mould, string coure above, keyed oculus, string course and bell openings on all 4 sides, each a single round headed opening with raised keystone. Moulded eaves above and battlements. Part of C13 nave to north with massive C19 buttress. West and north walls of north aisle rebuilt in 1874-5 with western lancet, 2 pointed north windows each of 2 pointed lights with hood mould and re-used C15 animal label stops and regularly placed 2 stage buttresses. East wall of north aisle late C12 with small, broad pointed window high up with chamfered surround. Part of north chancel wall of Cll herringbone, remainder of ironstone rubble, with C19 rectangular window with 2 pointed lights, hood mould and label stops. C19 lean-to below. C19 north vestry with west doorway with Caernarvon head, chamfered surround and plank door. Pointed north window of three pointed lights. East end of-chancel heavily restored in 1880 with 2 C19 lancets with re-used C14 label stops and almond- shaped window above, and flanking diagonal 2 stage buttrresses and central 2 stage buttress. South side of chancel of blue lias rubble and herringbone with narrow 2 stage buttresses between 3 rectangular C14 windows each of 2 ogee headed lights with rectangular hood moulds. South side of nave with 2 two stage buttresses between 2 C19 pointed windows each with 2 pointed lights and single quatrefoil above, hood moulds and C14 animal label stops. C11 south doorway with plain jambs chamfered imposts, round head with plain tympanum, C14 hood mould and animal label stops, plank door. Interior C19 tower arch with pointed double chamfered head, inner order supported on corbels. 2 bay early C13 arcade with keeled responds, central round pier, plain moulded capitals and double chamfered pointed heads with broached mouldings where heads spring from abaci. Small pointed, chamfered arch to east, restored in C19, with blocked rectangular opening above. Broad pointed double chamfered C13 chancelarch dying into flanking walls. C19 north-east organ arch with pointed double chamfered head, inner order supported on corbels. C13 sedilia, simple striking stone bench ends in south wall. Cl9 waijon roof over nave and Lie beam roof over chancel. C19 ornate flint, wrought iron pulpit, pews, wrought iron altar rail and lectern. Grey and white monument with urn to Francis Toyne, died 1750, and family. C19 monuments.

Listing NGR: SK8685586744

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
197119
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05727/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].