THE STORES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1146812

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: THE STORES, FULLER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE STORES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 02:45:37.

Location

Statutory Address: THE STORES, FULLER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Fairstead

National Grid Reference: TL 74733 15958

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 71 NW FAIRSTEAD FULLER STREET (west side)

1/21 The Stores

- II

House. C.1590, converted to a shop and house in C19, and back to a house in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing NE, with stack in second bay from left end against rear wall, forming a lobby-entrance, and external stack at right end. Original lean-to behind left end, extended along the remainder of the rear wall in C18/C19. 2 storeys. 3 C20 casements and C19 shop window converted to domestic use with diamond leading; first floor, 3 C20 casements. One C19 half-glazed door and one plain boarded door. The shopfront retains a C19 3-directional sign reading 'Lifebuoy Soap - Sunlight Soap - No wear no tear no care' made by Roots and Heinemann of Connersville, Indiana, under a patent of 1888. Jowled posts, close studding with curved tension braces trenched to the inside, with some original wattle and daub. Large wood-burning hearth of 0.33 m brickwork facing to right, and another facing to left, altered at rear. Notches in the brickwork at the front indicate that the original newel stair was just inside the front door. Diamond mortices for unglazed windows at rear. A continuous chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops spans the 2 right bays and is jointed into a chamfered transverse beam with lamb's tongue stops, an unusual construction. Plain joists of vertical section. Face-halved and bladed scarfs in both wallplates. Clasped purlin roof, with original partitions infilled with wattle and daub to apex. RCHM 5.

Listing NGR: TL7473315958

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115374

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing