CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1146826
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146826.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:24:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST HELEN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Willingham
National Grid Reference:
SK 87423 84514

Details

SK 88 SE WILLINGHAM HIGH STREET (west side)

Church of 4/74 St. Helen 16.12.64 G.V. II

Parish church. Mid C12, late C17, 1880 by Brodrick and Smith. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar. Plain tiled roofs with stone coped gables, cross finials and decorative ridge tiles. West tower, nave with south porch, rectangular chancel with north vestry. C12 west tower re-modelled in C19, with plinth, quoins, and small, pointed, very narrow west doorway to left, with chamfered surround and plank door. Small lancet above to the right with rectangular window immediately above. 2 string courses above. 2 small rectangular staircase lights on north side. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with C19 pointed head with 2 pointed cusped lights with lower cusped ogee tracery, continuous hood moulds joined on all 4 sides by string course. C19 moulded eaves with 8 gargoyles, battlements and 8 ornate pinnacles. Plinth runs round nave and chancel. North side of nave with blocked C12 doorway to west with round head, impost blocks, chamfered jambs and hood mould. 3 C19 rectangular windows to east in C19 wall, each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, hood mould with label stops. North vestry with 3 light pointed window in north side, with reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. East side with pointed doorway with chamfered surround and plank door. East end of C19 chancel with 3 light pointed window with cusped 5 petalled mouchettes, hood mould and label stops. South side of chancel with rectangular windows each of 2 round headed lights with lower cusped ogee tracery and rectangular hood mould and label stops. South side of chancel with 2 rectangular windows each with2 ogee headed cusped lights, rectangular hood mould and label stops. South porch with squat angle buttresses, string course, north and south small 2 light windows. Pointed south doorway re-using late C12 fragments with flanking columnar jambs, rich foliate capitals, that to west C19. Hood mould. Porch interior with flanking benches and pointed doorway with chamfered surround, hood mould, foliate label stops and plank door. Beyond porch to west, another C19 rectangular window with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, hood mould and label stops. C19 interior tower arch with pointed head with inner order corbelled out on large angels, outer order chamfered; hood mould and foliate label stops. Irregularly shaped tower interior with C12 pointed chamfered doorway leading to stairs, with plank door. C17 round headed chancel arch with impost blocks, hood mould and large round label stops. c19 ;iumbry to north vestry with ornate corbels supporting wooden beam and screen around organ. C19 wagon roofs. C19 aumbry in north wall with ornate cusping, nook shafts, etc. cl7 chair with ornate panelled back and arms. Ornate C19 altar rail. Several. C14 square headed traceried bench ends. C12 drum font with small pointed arches on coupled shafts. Monuments in tower include one large marble monument to Elizabeth Dymok, died 1741, with scrolls, flowers, winged cherubs and coats-of-arms. White marble monument to Thomas Wells, died 1781, and family, with urn, lilyheads and winged cherub.

Listing NGR: SK8742384514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
197121
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05727/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].