This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET

List entry Number: 1146833

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARAGRET, MALDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Woodham Mortimer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 119132

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 80 NW WOODHAM MORTIMER MALDON ROAD

3/144 Church of St. Margaret 30.12.59 GV II

Parish church. C12 south wall of Nave. All else C19 restorations, C19 north aisle, north Chapel, south porch and bell turret. Freestone and septaria rubble walls, limestone dressings, brick buttresses. Red plain tiled roofs. Hanging tiles and vertical boarding to base of shingle bell turret spire. South wall with three 2 light windows in 2 centre arched heads. To east is a restored C15 cusped single light window under a square head. Enclosed gabled south porch with leaded ogee side windows and double part glazed doors. Chamfered segmental pointed doorway with 6 panelled door, west wall with buttresses to angles and junction of north aisle. Upper 2 light trefoiled window with brick arch over. Lower 2 centre arched 2 light window. Trefoiled pointed arch window with brick arch over to north aisle. North wall. 2 gables with 3 light windows, tracery over. 3 buttresses. Gabled north chapel with crenellated flat roofed north extension. The chapel with similar window to north aisle. Band under extension crenellations. 3 single light windows with 2 centre arched heads to north wall, similar window and a doorway with segmental head to west wall, similar single light window to east wall. Single trefoiled 2 centre arched window to east wall of north chapel. Stone quoins to Chancel east wall and a C19 3 light window with tracery under a 2 centre arched head with moulded label. Interior. C19 ceiled vaulted roof with moulded and crenellated wall plates to Nave and Chancel. North aisle lean-to roof with similar features. No Chancel arch. Moulded rood beam, stone corbels support the moulded wall posts. Wooden rood. C19 iron supports to circular timber altar rail. Late C19 stained glass to most windows. Coloured tiles to sanctuary floor, wood block floors elsewhere. Stone corbels support the arched braces to moulded and crenellated belfry beam. C19 polygonal carved wooden pulpit re-using some earlier panels. C19 north arcade of 4 bays with varying chamfered 2 centred arches, octagonal columns. C17 round head rear arch to south doorway and C12 round head rear arch and splay to window west of south door, these 2 features are the only visible evidence of the C12 church. Monuments. Slab against north vestry wall, Nathaniel Smith M.A. 1693, wall monuments, Rev. Nicholas Griffen Hoofe M.A. 1789, James Wright 1795, Edward Codd 1786. Font. Stucco circular bowl with iron band at rim, octagonal moulded brick base, moulded brick stem with ogee arches to panels, all with some stucco probably C15/C16. Western arch of north aisle, bell from Hazeleigh Old Church, Thos. Means of London Fecit 1793. Said to be a brass in Chancel of Dorothy, Daughter of Giles Alleine 1584, figure with head missing, inscription beginning - A Little Impe Is Buried Here and a shield-of-arms. RCHM I.

Listing NGR: TL8228605228

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 82286 05228

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146833 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:36:52.

End of official listing