This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NORTON MANDEVILLE MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTON MANDEVILLE MANOR

List entry Number: 1146850

Location

NORTON MANDEVILLE MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: High Ongar

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jun-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 60 SW HIGH ONGAR NORTON HEATH 8/2 Norton Mandeville Manor

II*

House. Built 1613, with C18 and later additions. Red brick in Flemish bond on end walls, with plastered facade. Red plain tile roof. 2 storeys and attics. Half 'H' plan. Parapet front, with 3 feature gables. 3 window range, mullion and transom casements with leaded lights. 3 leaded casements to feature gables. Both wings have flat roofed semi-hexagonal bay windows of 2 storey height with matching casements. Staircase tower at rear. 4 massive, original red brick chimney stacks, each with 3 octagonal shafts, moulded bases and caps. Red brick, rear extension of 1 storey and attics, with red plain tiled roof. Door has panelled surround with flat hood on scroll brackets. Date plaques on south chimney stack with E.S.A. and 1613. Internally are three rooms with original panelling, numerous original doors, and ironmongery, and an original staircase with moulded handrails and newels with turned tops. (RCHM 2).

Listing NGR: TL6009704415

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921)

National Grid Reference: TL 60097 04415

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146850 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 12:01:59.

End of official listing