Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146858.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:15:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 18716 73453


MINTING CHURCH LANE TF 17 SE 3/29 Church of St. Andrew 14-9-66 II* Parish church. c1200, C15, 1863 restoration by Ewan Christian. Greenstone squared rubble with ashlar dressings and some brick raising, green slate roofs with stone coped gables, crosses fleury and decorative tiled ridges. Nave with western bellcote, north aisle, chancel, south porch, vestry. A large central buttress divides the west end of the church, and supports the ashlar octagonal bellcote which has 4 shouldered openings, a nail headcornice and short steeple crowned with a weather vane. To either side of the buttress are single C19 2 light windows with quatrefoils over and hood moulds with foliate stops. Nave and aisles have been totally rebuilt externally in 1863 restoration. The north side of the north aisle has 3 two light windows with cusped heads to the lights. The chancel has medieval fabric, and has some brick patching and raising on the north side. The vestry has a western doorway and single eastern light. The chancel east window is C15 with 3 cusped lights, panel tracery above and human head labels. The south chancel window is C19, of 2 lights. The nave south wall has a large C19 3 light window with reticulated tracery and segmental head, and a single light with trefoil over. Beyond the porch is a single C19 lancet. The C19 gabled south porch has a steeply pointed outer doorway with half engaged shafts and annular capitals. The inner doorway is in a plainer pointed opening. Interior. The 3 bay north arcade of c1200 has double chamfered just pointed arches. The piers and responds have been rebuilt in C19, but it seems likely that the keeled responds have been recut whereas the concave quatrefoil piers with attached annular shafts look entirely C19. The double chamfered chancel arch also has recut keeled responds. Roofs and fittings are C19, including the font, altar rail and pulpit. Chancel screen reconstructed in C19 contains some C15 panels. Built into the east wall of the nave, to either side of the chancel arch are 2 fragments of an elaborately carved c1200 cross. On the north side the panel, which has nail head decoration depicts the crucifixion scene, the figure on the cross being flanked by 2 figures and the foot of Christ is nailed with one nail. Beneath is foliate decoration which is continued on the panel on the south side. On the floor below the northern panel is the cut down roughly hewn bowl of an early octagonal font. Monuments. In the chancel north wall is a domed brass plaque inscribed to Gulielmus Chapman, d.1722.

Listing NGR: TF1871673453


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16695/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].