Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146937.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 20:42:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 18465 07484



6/130 Church of St. Edmund 1-11-66 II*

Parish Church C12, C13, C15, 1868, restoration by Ferrey. Random limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone and ironstone ashlar dressings slate roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle, chancel. West door is late C13 with pointed moulded head and floriate label stops, recutin C19. Above is a 3 light C13 geometric window, again heavily recut, most of the tracery replaced, above again is a C19 sexfoil in a circular setting, cross fleury at the gable. 2 stepped buttresses at either end. West window of the south aisle is a late C13 2 light, recut in C19, with hood mould and floriate label stops matching those on the west door., North wall of nave is random rubble, a blocked C12 doorway with plain jambs and chamfered imposts, facetted arch and hood mould decorated with cable moulding with hobnails and terminating in abraded beast headed label stops. 2 C19 2 light windows in a late C13 style. North wall of north transept has a single 3 light window in a late C13 pointed opening but with C19 reticulated tracery. Central .tower of coursed squared ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Single storey above nave and aisle roofs, single windows in each side of 2 lights, C14 with cusped ogee heads and quatrefoils over moulded hood moulds with human headed label stops. Gargoyles at angles with above a C15 crenellated and pinnacled parapet. Engaged octagonal stair turret with domical roof in the angle between the north transept and the chancel. Chancel north wall is blank. East wall of chancel has stepped angle buttresses at either end and a single 1868 3 light window in the Geometric style. Chancel south wall has a central buttress with to the east a recut late C13 door with hood mould and floriate label stops. 2 windows, both 2 light, late C13 developed Y tracery, hood moulds and label stops, mostly C19 now. South wall of south transept has a 3 light reticulated window matching that to the north. The south aisle wall is C19 with 3 two light C19 windows in the Geometric style and matching the original fragments in the west wall of the south aisle. Inside a late C13 north arcade of 3 bays, octagonal piers with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Similar arch into the north transept at the east end of the aisle. Nave roof and corbels are C19. Crossing arches all match those of the south arcade with engaged octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The tower vault is 1868 matching the fine contemporary groined vault of the chancel. The east window records the fact that George Tomline "Rebuilt" the church in 1868. Memorials:- In the chancel are 3 good C18 hatchments and a wreathed marble urn on a pediment to William Tomline, d.1742. Above is a small marble wall plaque depicting a mourning female figure beside a Classical tomb, by P. M. Van Gelder, dated 1806, and apparently designed by the member of the Tomline family for whom it was erected. A striking marble Gothic wall plaque to the Rev. John Parkinson, d,1840, in the south aisle and a curious plaque to Richard Roadley, d,[email protected], on the west nave wall depicting an urn containing bent (sorrowing) flowers. At the east end of the nave are 2 sets of early C19 regimental colours.

Listing NGR: TA1846507484


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05657/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingThe[email protected].