CHURCH OF ST. MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST. MARY, BRIDGE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146946.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:57:15.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST. MARY, BRIDGE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 89286 43719
SK 84 SE MARSTON BRIDGE STREET (east side)
5/77 Church of St. Mary 20.9.66 G.V. I
Parish church. c.1175, late C12, early C13, early C14, C15, 1881-2 by C. Kirk. Limestone ashlar, ironstone ashlar, coursed ironstone rubble, slate roofs. West tower and spire, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, rectangular chancel and small south east chapel. Early C14 tower of 3 stages of limestone ashlar and coursed ironstone rubble with plinth, moulded string course and angle buttresses of 3 stages. West front, first stage has small deeply splayed light with hood mould and weathered head label stops. South front, first stage has small deeply splayed light flanked by corbels which supported roof of structure in south-west corner, now gone. 3 stair turret lights in west corner by south-west buttress. Second stage, west and south sides have pointed windows each of 2 cusped lights with quatrefoil above and hood mould. West and east openings each of 2 cusped ogee lights with 3 mouchettes, hood mould and head label stops. North and south bell openings, each of 2 cusped ogee lights set within 2 cusped pointed lights. Broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions, and alternating shields and grotesque heads between the tiers. Early C14 north aisle of ironstone with limestone dressings. Pointed west window of 2 lights with C19 tracery. North side has small plinth and an early C14 moulded doorway. 2 buttresses, each of 2 stages alternate with two 3-light windows with intersecting tracery, all of early C14. C19 angle buttress of single stage and 2 set offs. East end of north aisle has another early C14 3-light pointed window with intersecting tracery. Limestone ashlar chancel of 1881-2, with plinth and moulded string course on south side with 2 pairs of pointed lights with highly decorated shafts, capitals and label stops, flanked by buttresses each of single stage with 2 setoffs. Corbel table at eaves. East end has ornate 3 light window flanked by single stage buttresses with 2 setoffs. Coped gable with finial. South side has pair of ornate lights and corbel table. C15 south aisle much restored in C19, of ironstone with limestone dressings. C19 angle buttress of single stage with 2 setoffs. Moulded plinth. Pointed window of 2 cusped lights with trefoils and mouchettes restored in C19. Small pointed doorway with plain hood mould. 2 C19 buttresses of single stage with 2 setoffs, alternating with 2 rectangular windows, that to the east of 3 lights, and to the west of 2 lights, both with reticulated tracery and both restored in C19. Moulded eaves above. C15 south porch of ironstone with limestone bands, with moulded plinth, string course and parapet. C15 diagonal buttresses of 2 stages. 4-centred moulded arch with 3 ornate niches above, coped gable with C19 crosses on south-east and south-west corners. C15 rectangular opening with single mullion in west wall. Interior of porch flanked by stone benches. Late C12 south doorway restored in C19, of 2 orders, the innermost of 2 shafts, the outer of single clusters of 3 shafts, with stiff-leaf capitals, filleted roll mouldings and head label stops. Porch roof includes C15 timber. West end of south aisle has single stage C19 angle buttress with 2 setoffs, and large C15 projecting gargoyle. C15 rectangular west windows with reticulated tracery completely restored in C19. Early C14 interior tower arch with triple responds and plainly moulded pointed arch, hood mould and head label stops. 4 bay south arcade of c.1175, with round piers and double chamfered pointed arches; south- westernmost capital has some flat leaf carving. 2 pierced almond shaped openings in spandrels, and small heads. North arcade of c1200, each pier of clustered shafts with fillets, moulded capitals and double chamfered pointed arches. C19 heads in spandrels. Small blocked, pointed doorway in south east corner of north aisle, and remnant of stiff leaf corbel. Ornate C19 corbels support C19 nave and aisle roofs. Ornate pointed chancel arch of 1881-2, contemporary round arch into south chapel, with polygonal abaci and very plain moulded jambs. Roof supported by ornate corbels. Encaustic tiled floor. Windows highly decorated internally. Aumbry in north wall of 2 pointed arches. Paired sedilia and piscina in south wall. Ornate reredos of white and green marble. Ornate arcaded east wall. Pulpit, lectern and choir stalls of 1881-2. Early C20 pews. In south chapel, a large dresser tomb of pink and white marble with alabaster recumbent figure flanked by corinthian columns, of Sir Anthony Thorold, died June 1594. Backing onto it at east end of south aisle, another dresser tomb of stone and marble with 3 shields in medillions below and quatre- foil frieze above, of William Thorold, died 1569. Alabaster monument on south wall to Anne, Lady Hodgson (nee Thorold), died 1719, with ornate crown and apron, flanking corinthianesque pilasters and draperies. C19 stone panelled font.
Listing NGR: SK8928543720
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing