This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD CHAPEL AND THE OLD SCHOOLROOM WITH GATES AND PIERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD CHAPEL AND THE OLD SCHOOLROOM WITH GATES AND PIERS

List entry Number: 1147038

Location

THE OLD CHAPEL AND THE OLD SCHOOLROOM WITH GATES AND PIERS, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Modbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1990

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Nov-2010

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 99745

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MODBURY

1307/7/150 NEW ROAD 25-JAN-90 THE OLD CHAPEL AND THE OLD SCHOOLROOM WITH GATES AND PIERS (Formerly listed as: NEW ROAD METHODIST CHURCH AND SCHOOLROOM WITH G ATES AND PIERS)

II Former Methodist chapel and attached schoolroom. Chapel 1835, schoolroom 1874.

MATERIALS: The chapel is rendered and has a hipped slate roof. The schoolroom is constructed of rubble stone and has a slate roof.

EXTERIOR: Chapel: The principal elevation (north) has two large arched 25-pane sashes with radial-bar heads. To the east elevation is a wide double flush panelled doors under a panelled arched head in deep reveals below smaller, arched sash window, pilaster strips at corners. To the west elevation are two similar arched sash windows. A gabled porch with arched doorway with three-panel door and overlight. Schoolroom: The principal elevation (north) has stepped 1:2:1 arched plate glass lights, the central pair under a semi-circular moulded hood on brackets. Two pairs of similar lights to west elevation.

INTERIORS: Interiors not inspected but the chapel is believed to retain its gallery and the schoolroom is believed to retain its open hall with decorative roof trusses consisting of tie beam and collar.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: At the east end is a pair of square gabled piers to plinth and weathered moulded capping on two granite steps, containing pair of good ornamental C19 cast iron gates including ornamentation at dog-bar level, and a simple overthrow. To the front of the chapel is a low rubble wall to weathered stone coping, and a further pair of square rubble piers to the recessed porch entry.

HISTORY: According to 'An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses in South-West England' and Pevsner the chapel opened in 1835. The adjacent schoolroom was opened in 1874.

SOURCES: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon (2004) 571 Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses in South-West England (1991)

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION The Old Chapel and The Old Schoolroom with gates and piers is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural Interest: As a good example of a pre-1840 Methodist chapel retaining its external architectural composition. The juxtaposition of the classical style chapel with the Gothic style schoolroom demonstrates the development of architectural styles within Methodism. * Group Value: The characteristic Methodist arrangement of chapel and schoolroom and the retention of the boundary walls, piers and gates * Interiors: Evidence of its original internal arrangements including former gallery to The Old Chapel and open hall and decorative roof trusses to The Old Schoolroom

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 65847 51477

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 11:58:16.

End of official listing