This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RAILINGS GATES GATE PIERS AND SECTION OF BOUNDARY WALL ON NORTH SIDE OF BURIAL GROUND OF UNITARIAN CHAPEL INCLUDING LAMP STANDARD TO NORTH EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RAILINGS GATES GATE PIERS AND SECTION OF BOUNDARY WALL ON NORTH SIDE OF BURIAL GROUND OF UNITARIAN CHAPEL INCLUDING LAMP STANDARD TO NORTH EAST

List entry Number: 1147042

Location

RAILINGS GATES GATE PIERS AND SECTION OF BOUNDARY WALL ON NORTH SIDE OF BURIAL GROUND OF UNITARIAN CHAPEL INCLUDING LAMP STANDARD TO NORTH EAST, CROSS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Moretonhampstead

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 85056

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MORETONHAMPSTEAD CROSS STREET (south side), SX 7586 Moretonhampstead 8/122 Railings, gates, gate-piers and - section of boundary wall on north side of burial ground of Unitarian Chapel including lamp standard to north-east GV II

Non-conformist burial ground boundary railings and entrance gates and section of boundary wall including an adjacent lamp standard. Circa mid to late C19 railings and lamp standard, and circa late C17 to early C18 fragment in C19 boundary wall. Iron railings with spearhead shafts, the alternate shafts reach only the low middle rail but also have spearheads. Cast iron stanchions and gate-pier, octagonal with moulded finials. Set in granite ashlar plinth. Stone rubble wall to right (west) acts as boundary wall to burial ground and parts of this wall are all that remain of the 1692 meetinghouse which was enlarged in 1718, but became unsafe and was replaced by the existing chapel in 1802. The wall is approximately 2i metres high. The lamp standard to the left (east) is cast iron with panelled pedestal, tapered fluted shaft and moulded and fluted ladder bars and with wrought iron lamp-holder on top. Source: C Stell's draft for RCHM book on non-conformist chapels.

Listing NGR: SX7552386006

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)

National Grid Reference: SX 75524 86009

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147042 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:23:41.

End of official listing