This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LOVIBOND COTTAGES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOVIBOND COTTAGES

List entry Number: 1147097

Location

LOVIBOND COTTAGES, 1-4, MALDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hatfield Peverel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115406

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7811-7911 HATFIELD PEVEREL MALDON ROAD (north-east side)

12/65 Nos. 1-4 (consec) Lovibond Cottages

GV II

Almshouses. 1820. Gault brick in Flemish bond, roofed with slate. Block of 4 cottages facing SW, with 4 axial stacks. 4 C20 rear extensions of red brick in stretcher bond, with flat roofs. One storey. 8 casements in Gothick style, with 2-centred lights in square heads, and moulded plaster labels. 4 C20 half-glazed doors in C20 boarded porches with felted barrel vault roofs and internal seats at sides. Each stack has 2 recesses in the front, and one at each side, with 2-centred heads. Hipped roof of low pitch. Simple pilasters at middle and ends of front elevation. Inscribed stone tablet 'These four tenements were erected for the reception of two aged married couples, and two aged single persons, either natives or very old inhabitants of this parish. G.L. 1st August 1820. H.C.L.'. Built and endowed by Martha Lovibond in accordance with the wishes of her deceased daughter Harriet Catherine Lovibond under an indenture of 21 October 1820, establishing 'The Hatfield Peverel invested Fund for aged Poor' (Report of the Charity Commissioners, Essex, 901-3).

Listing NGR: TL7981311487

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 79813 11487

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147097 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:40:47.

End of official listing