Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147148

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960



Ordnance survey map of OLD GEORGE INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 23:16:58.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: High Bickington

National Grid Reference: SS 60013 20472


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HIGH BICKINGTON POPLAR ROW SS 60 20 15/109 Old George Inn 4.10.60 GV II

House, now inn. Late C16 or early C17, enlarged and remodelled in the late C18 or early C19. Late C20 internal alterations. Rendered over cob and stone rubble. Gable-ended thatched roof. Rendered lateral stack and end stack. Plan and development: Circa 1600 two-room central-entrance plan with external lateral stacks to rear of each room. Late C18 or early C19 one-roomed addition to right (possibly a rebuilding of an earlier addition) with an external end stack and an entrance to the front. Late C20 alterations included the removal of the internal partitions flanking the entrance hall/passage, and the truncation of the left-hand rear stack with the insertion of a staircase to the rear of the fireplace. The location of the earlier staircase is not known but it might have risen from the front door. The front wall might have been rebuilt in stone in the late C18 or early C19 (see stone jambs to ground-floor windows). Two storeys. Exterior: Asymmetrical front with 4 windows to the first floor and 3 to the ground floor; c.1800 small-paned 2-light wooden casements with stone cills. Symmetrical front to c.1600 left-hand range has round-arched recessed doorway with C20 half- glazed door and c.1800 blind radial fanlight. Round-arched recessed doorway to left of right-hand window has C19 plank door with strap hinges, chamfered wooden frame and blind tympanum. Interior: Ground-floor room of c.1600 range (internal partitions removed) has plain joists spanning front to back and c.1600 fireplaces with stone jambs and chamfered wooden lintels. Fireplace in right-hand ground-floor room has probably reused C17 chamfered wooden lintel with stepped stops. Late C16 or early C17 three-bay roof with 2 trusses consisting of straight principals with pegged halved apices and pegged halved lap-jointed collars. Formerly with trenched purlins (replaced in C20). Full- height cob end walls to c.1600 range. Nailed-collar truss over right-hand addition. Poplar Row was formerly known as Poplar Terrace.

Listing NGR: SS6001520473


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91725

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing