MALTINGS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147224

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: MALTINGS FARMHOUSE, FARM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MALTINGS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 04:38:43.

Location

Statutory Address: MALTINGS FARMHOUSE, FARM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Great Oakley

National Grid Reference: TM 19503 27567

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT OAKLEY FARM ROAD TM 1827-1927 (north-east side) 7/25 Maltings Farmhouse (Malting Farmhouse)

GV II

House and ancillary building, now a restaurant and flat. C15, altered in C16 and C17. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed mainly with handmade red clay tiles, partly with slate. 2-bay hall facing NE with C16 axial stack in left bay, 2-bay service crosswing to left, 3-bay parlour/solar crosswing to right, both projecting to rear. C17 internal stack at right side of right crosswing, and long C17 extension or ancillary building beyond, now incorporated. C19 lean-to extension with slate roof to rear of hall. Main building of 2 storeys, right extension of one storey with attics. Ground floor, 2 late C19 sashes of 4 lights, one C19 casement. First floor, 3 similar sashes. 4-panel door, the upper panels glazed, in C20 gabled porch. Right extension, one C20 casement, the remainder obscured by dense foliage. Gablet hips at both ends of hall and at rear of both crosswings. Rear elevation (now used as an entrance elevation), scattered C20 fenestration and 2 C20 doors. Shaped sprockets below eaves. The hall has a mid-C16 inserted floor comprising a transverse moulded beam and moulded joists of horizontal section with runout stops, a wide wood-burning hearth (of which the mantel beam has been replaced), and a roof raised in the C17. The left crosswing has a bridging beam with mortices for a former partition between 2 service rooms, plain joists of horizontal section jointed to it with unrefined soffit tenons, jowled posts in the middle and to the rear, a cambered central tiebeam with one arched brace in situ, wallplates with edge-halved and bridled scarfs, and a roof altered in the C17. A former jetty to the front has been cut back to align with the front of the hall. Diamond mortices for an unglazed window, now blocked, in the left upper wall. The right crosswing has an original partition between the middle and rear bays, a chamfered binding beam, plain joists of horizontal section jointed with unrefined soffit tenons, jowled posts, and similar alterations to the roof and jetty. At the junction with the right extension is a bread oven, complete with door. The extension has a chamfered axial beam and plain joists of vertical section. Possibly RCHM 4. In the tithe award of 1841 this was the farmhouse of a farm of 58 acres, unnamed (Essex Record Office, D/CT 258)

Listing NGR: TM1950327567

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120267

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing