GAY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147273

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: GAY HOUSE, PESTHOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GAY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147273 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 12:26:33.

Location

Statutory Address: GAY HOUSE, PESTHOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Great Oakley

National Grid Reference: TM 19571 27300

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT OAKLEY PESTHOUSE LANE TM 1827-1927 (north-west side) 7/34 20.1.86 Gay House

II House. C17, extended in C20. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with red clay pantiles. 4 bays facing SE with axial stack in second bay from left end. C18/19 extension to right. C20 single-storey lean-to extension to rear. Large C20 2-storey crosswing to left. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 6 C20 casements. First floor, one more, and 3 in slated lean-to dormers. C20 half-glazed door at front of gabled porch. Jowled posts. Primary straight bracing. Chamfered axial and transverse beams with lamb's tongue stops, plain joists of vertical section. 2 large wood-burning hearths. Roof ceiled. In the C20 left extension is a re-used C16 floor structure, with a chamfered axial beam and joists of horizontal section jointed to it with soffit tenons with diminished haunches, reported to have come from an agricultural building c.1965, and other re-used timber. Shown under the same name in the tithe award of 1841, without farm buildings, as part of Maltings Farm, 58 acres. Essex Record Office, D/CT 158)

Listing NGR: TM1957127300

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120276

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing