JOHN BRABIN'S OLD SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147304

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: JOHN BRABIN'S OLD SCHOOL, 27, WINDY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of JOHN BRABIN'S OLD SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 20:33:46.

Location

Statutory Address: JOHN BRABIN'S OLD SCHOOL, 27, WINDY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Chipping

National Grid Reference: SD 62308 43228

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 64 SW CHIPPING WINDY STREET

4/92 No. 27 (John Brabin's Old School) 29.12.52 (formerly listed as John Brabin's Old School) GV II

Former school, 1684, altered. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys, the upper one now being very tall. 3 bays with central single-storey porch, continuous drip course which returns along right-hand gable wall, and cavetto-moulded eaves cornice. On the ground floor are 2 3-light double- chamfered mullioned windows, the inner chamfer being hollow. The 1st floor windows have chamfered plain stone surrounds. The porch has an ashlar front, saddle-backed coping with 3 ball finials, a studded plank door and a badly worn moulded door surround with shaped lintel and moulded hood. Re-cut on the lintel are: 'CP RP 1684 JH RM'. Above is a re-cut plaque with moulded border 'THIS SCHOOL FOUNDED BY JOHN BRABBIN GENTLEMAN DOCE DISCE VEL DISCEDE'. The left-hand gable has a plain stone door surround with 'GIRLS' on the lintel. The right-hand gable has a 3-light double-chamfered mullioned window on the ground floor. At the rear (north-west) are extensions with an M-roof. The wall facing the river is of 2 storeys and 3 bays, the windows having plain stone surrounds. The wall facing the road has 4 narrow doorways with slightly chamfered surrounds, now blocked to form windows. The right-hand one has '1771' incised on the lintel. Above are lst and 2nd floor windows with plain stone surrounds, and a cavetto cornice.



Listing NGR: SD6230843228

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182979

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing