CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147325.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:58:17.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Holland (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 30710 24115
MOULTON HIGH STREET
TF 32 SW (east side)
9/103 Church of 7.2.67 All Saints
Parish church. c.1180, c.1200, mid C14, late C15, 1777, restored 1867. Limestone ashlar, some red brick. Lead and slate roofs with stone coped gables with eastern cross finial. West tower with spire, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and clerestorey, chancel with north organ chamber. 4 stage mid C14 tower partially remodelled in the late C15. Moulded plinth and 6 stage angle buttresses, the second stages with niches, each with crocketed and finialled gables supported on head label stops; inner cusped nodding ogee arches and slender columnar pedestals. 2 storey stair turret to north-east with 2 slit lights. Pointed west doorway, with continuous deeply moulded surround, hood mould and double plank doors. Castellated string course above. Pointed late C15 window above with bowtell moulded surround, 4 lights with foliate transom, lower semi-circular headedlights, upper ogee cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and lion head label stops. North and south sides each with C15 triangular headed window with bowtell moulded surround, 2 cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould with grotesque head label stops. Above the west window a clock breaks into an ornate C14 blind arcade with inner cusped, ogee nodding arches and outer curved crocketed and finialled gables which are carried across the buttresses on each side and are supported on grotesque heads and slender columns. North and south sides with single triangular headed windows each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, transom, hood mould and head label stops. East side with the outline of the C15 nave roof. Bell stage with bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a pointed head, 2 ogee headed lights with castellated transom and lower semi-circular headed lights, hood mould and head label stops. Cusped diamond frieze above and moulded eaves with small sculptural motifs and projecting gargoyles. Battlements with ornate corner pinnacles. Slender crocketed flyers reach up to the crocketed C14 octagonal spire with 3 tiers of ornate lucarnes on alternating sides (related in design to the blind arcade on the west front), and weathervane. C12 north aisle heavily restored and extended to the east in the C19. West end with fragmentary C12 roll moulded plinth. C15 west window with flattened triangular head, 3 cusped lights, incipient panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. North side with regularly placed 2 stage buttresses and sill band. Doorway of c.1180 with pointed head, continuous roll moulded inner order, chamfered outer order supported on single slender shafts with volute and foliate capitals; hood mould, head label stops and double plank door. 2 windows to the right, and 3 windows to the left, all with pointed heads; 3 C19 cusped ogee headed lights, flowing tracery and hood mould. C19 doorway beyond to left giving access to organ chamber, with pointed head, roll moulded surround, hood mould with head label stops, and plank door. C19 east window with pointed head, 2 cusped, ogee headed lights, flowing tracery and hood mould. Clerestorey of c.1180 remodelled in late C15. 6 C15 windows are inserted into a C12 blind arcade; the former with flattened triangular heads, moulded surrounds and 2 semi-circular headed cusped lights; the latter with groups of 2 or 3 blind, pointed openings with roll moulded heads, capitals, large abaci but now without the supporting shafts. Mid C14 chancel raised in C15 red brick and now with moulded eaves and battlements. Pointed mid C15 window in north side, with 3 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Fragmentary string course to left. Blocked pointed doorway below to left and 2 rows of corbels beyond. East end flanked by 3 stage diagonal buttress. Large pointed C19 window with 5 pointed cusped lights, panel tracery, hood mould and head label stops. C19 battlements, pinnacles and cross finial above. South side of chancel with regularly placed, slender, 3 stage buttresses and moulded plinth. C14 priest's doorway to left with continuous moulded surround, flattened triangular head, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. 2 C19 windows above to the right with pointed heads, 3 cusped pointed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. Single identical C15 window above to left. C14 polygonal stair turret originally giving access to rood loft inserted into re-entrant angle between chancel and south aisle, with ornate quatrefoil and string course, slit light, moulded eaves and battlements. South aisle refronted in C19. Mid C14 east window with pointed head, 2 cusped ogee heads, quatrefoil, hood mould and head label stops. Fragmentary string course to left. 2 pointed C19 south windows, each with 3 cusped pointed lights and 3 cusped oculi and hood mould. C19 gabled porch to left with pointed doorway with deeply moulded head, paired columns with ornate capitals, hood mould and foliate label stops. Porch contains boiler, but inner doorway of c.1200 partially visible with steeply pointed head, roll moulded surround, imposts and hood mould. 2 C19 windows to the west of porch, each with four centred head, 3 cusped lights, incipient panel tracery and C14 hood moulds. Similar mid C14 window in west end of south aisle. Clerestory of c.1180 somewhat remodelled in C15, with blind arcade with semi-circular, roll moulded heads supported on clustered shafts with foliate capitals; and 7 C15 windows inserted, each beneath a moulded basket arch. Mid C14 very tall interior tower arch with continuous triple filleted responds, castellated capitals, hood mould and label stops. Tower interior with corbel busts supporting rib vault with liernes, some tiercerons, central oculus and ornate bosses. Triangular headed north doorway with continuously moulded surround, hood mould, head label stops and plank door. 6 bay north and south C12 arcades, the westernmost bay of which was the original C12 tower; the original tower arch with broad rectangular sections of the original outer walls, triple rolls, the inner rolls being much taller, all with incipient stiff leaf capitals. The south pier with blocked pointed opening in east rectangular section. The next pair of piers to the east each with 4 rolls, plain moulded north capital, crocket south capital. Pair of round piers beyond, the north with incipient stiff leaf capital, the south with crocket capital incorporating grotesque heads. The next pair of piers to the east both with 4 large rolls alternating with 4 slender rolls, both with crocket capitals. Eastern responds of 3 large rolls alternating with slender keeled shafts, both with incipient stiff leaf capitals. C14 castellated pedestals for statues attached to four of the piers. Mid C14 doorway to rear of south respond on the north side, originally giving access to rood loft, with flattened triangular head, continuously moulded surround, ogee hood mould with partially intact crockets, large bust label stop to right and similar bust to left broken through by late C14 rood screen and bust in apex wearing pillbox cap. In a similar position on north respond a rectangular C15 aumbry with fragmentary inner corner shelf. A piscina of similar design in south aisle wall, with chamfered surround, grotesque head shelf and shallow bowl beneath. Pointed chancel arch, possibly of 1777, with curved soffit containing large foliate motifs. Late C14 rood screen heavily restored in C19, with 5 panels divided by slender openwork buttresses, central cusped ogee head with busts and foliate motifs on cusps, and pair of hinged panelled doors below. Flanking panels with blind tracery below with lion heads, birds eating corn, birds and griffons in spandrels. C19 ribbed coving and ornate parapet above. North west chancel C15 window blocked in C19, with organ pipes inserted in lights, panel tracery and C19 four centred arch below. Fragmentary mid C14 Easter Sepulchre on north wall with slight ogee head and suggestions of sleeping figure below. Blocked doorway to left with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded surround, hood mould and head label stops. Sedilia of c.1200 on south wall with shafts and semi-circular responds with moulded capitals supporting moulded ovolo heads. C19 stone reredos with mosaic detailing. Communion rail of 1895. C19 lectern, pews and pulpit. Late C17 pulpit dismantled in north aisle, with 6 panels with round arches, fretwork bands, flowerheads and castellated top. C15 tie beam nave roof and panelled aisle roofs on stone corbels. C19 chancel roof. C19 rectangular font. Fragmentary font of c.1200 upended in nave. Font of 1719 by William Tudd, on the Gibbons pattern, with the large figures of Adam and Eve supporting the tree shaped pedestal, the latter entwined by serpent; the bulgy bowl with 3 oval scenes of: the baptism ofChrist; the parting of the Red Sea and Noah's Ark, with leaves and apples around remainder of bowl. Monuments include one of white marble on black with urn, to Elizabeth Moore, died 1837; two in grey and white marble with winged cherub heads, to Helen Jenkins, died 1818, and the Reverend Samuel Elsdale, died 1827; two grey marble monuments to Alice Stixwold, died 1784, and William Corby, died 1793. Gravestones include: one to John Harox, died 1560; one to the Reverend John Chapman, died 1751; one to Edward Hunnings, died 1733; one to John Cookson, died 1681; a small brass dated 1662 and a C17 marble in the nave temporarily covered; one to John Cockle, died 1780 and one to John Cock, died 1708; one to William Corby, died 1768, another to Mary Holsin, died 1772; one to John Molson, died 1770; to Thomas Molson, died 1772; and John Molson, died 1767. One to John Burton, died 1768; one to Edward Hunnings, died 1787, and several C19 gravestones.
Listing NGR: TF3070624116
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing