This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARN AT SS 523 152

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN AT SS 523 152

List entry Number: 1147347

Location

BARN AT SS 523 152

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Merton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Feb-1989

Date of most recent amendment: 07-May-1991

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91752

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

MERTON

SS 51 NW 7/136 Barn known as "The Barracks" at SS 524 159

the address shall be amended to read:

MERTON

Barn at SS 523 152

------------------------------------ MERTON SS 51 NW 7/136 Barn known as "The Barracks" at - SS 524 159

II

Barn. Dated 1734. Walls of roughly squared rubble lined internally with brick. Slate roof gabled at right end, hipped at left-hand end. Plan: Rectangular plan with threshing floor off-centre. There is evidence, however, that the building was originally L-shaped. Exterior: Single storey. Asymmetrical front with wide cart entrance to right of centre with projecting rubble buttress to either side and to right. Slit opening with dressed stone surround to left. Low doorway with brick arch to left of front. Two thirds of the way along the left of the front is a straight joint and the stonework beyond it changes - probably where it has been infilled when the wing projecting from it was demolished. What remains of this wing is a section of its outer wall, capped with slate, projecting from the left end of the barn. In the right-hand gable wall are 4 slits in 2 rows with a sandstone plaque inscribed 1734 at the centre. Rear elevation has a blocked cart entrance to left of centre with slit opening to its left and 2 to its right. Interior: C18 roof trusses with trenched purlins, lapped and pegged collars and tie beams.

Listing NGR: SS5231615236

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 52316 15236

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147347 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:48:05.

End of official listing