This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LITTLE WAKERING HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LITTLE WAKERING HALL

List entry Number: 1147384

Location

LITTLE WAKERING HALL, LITTLE WAKERING HALL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Barling Magna

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 123078

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARLING MAGNA LITTLE WAKERING TQ 98 NW LITTLE WAKERING HALL ROAD 12/35 Little Wakering Hall 27.7.59 GV II* Hall house. C15 or earlier origin, C16 and later alterations and additions. Timber framed and plastered. Red plain tiled roofs, crosswings to left and right, the latter jettied to front and right return, with carved jetty brackets, dragon beam and post. 2 storey hipped porch to right of the left crosswing. Left return chimney stack offset with 2 diagonal shafts, 2 stacks to rear of hall with 3 and 2 diagonal shafts respectively. 2 storeys and attics with 3 rear gabled dormers. 1:1:3:1 small paned vertically sliding sashes. Moulded eaves cornice and central band to porch and hall. The porch has a chamfered 2 centred outer arch. The doorway has a moulded square head and jambs. 3 board door. Rear stair turret and other extensions. The hall roof was raised C16 and the stair turret added. Porch added at a later date. Exposed ceiling beams one with a date 1599. C16 fireplace with mantelbeam over and brick moulding to another fireplace. Fine Elizabethan staircase with solid treads and square plan balusters. Some original roof construction. C18 firesurround. ?Smugglers look-out in roof gablet with steps leading into it. The east wing was originally longer and signs of the building can be seen in the garden wall. At one time owned by Rev. Philip Benton, C19 historian. RCHM 4 (Little Wakering).

Listing NGR: TQ9412788429

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

National Grid Reference: TQ 94127 88429

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147384 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 06:37:54.

End of official listing