This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ALMSHOUSES AND WALL WITH GATEWAY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALMSHOUSES AND WALL WITH GATEWAY

List entry Number: 1147519

Location

ALMSHOUSES AND WALL WITH GATEWAY, 1-10, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wragby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195435

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WRAGBY MAIN STREET TF 17 NW (south side) 4/60 Almshouses 1-10 (consecutive) and wall with gateway G.V. II 10 almshouses. 1840. Stock brick, some red brick patching, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and kneelers. 4 tall ridge stacks to central block, 2 projecting stacks to rear of each wing, all the stacks with tall angle shafts. High plinth. Three sides of courtyard. 2 storey, 9 bay central block with projecting, gabled central and end bays. Central archway with moulded, four centred head and hood mould. Gateway flanked by single narrow rectangular lights. Single 2 light mullion windows flank single narrow light with triangular head, on each side of gateway. Projecting end bays with some red brick patching and single C20 casements with segmental heads. C20 casement above gateway with plaque above set in gable and inscribed: 'Founded by Sir Edward Turnor Knt. 1695. Dona Dei Deo Amore et Exempio. Rebuilt 1840' with coat of arms. Single triangular headed light set under small gable flanked by single 3 light mullion windows on each side. Pair of narrow lights with triangular heads in each end bay. Side wings each of 2 storeys and 5 bays with gabled central bay projecting slightly 2 doorways with shallow triangular heads and plank doors, alternate with 3, two light windows, each light with triangular head. Central window above with single narrow light with triangular head. End walls of each side wing with a pair of narrow plain sashes and single narrow casement above. Low brick wall enclosed fourth side of courtyard with central gateway with flanking rectangular pillars with shallow triangular crowns, 3 low pilaster buttresses on wall to each side, and cast iron railings and gate with fleur de lys upper terminations.

Listing NGR: TF1332878024

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 13328 78024

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 08:22:13.

End of official listing