THE MARKET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147520

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HOUSE, THE SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MARKET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147520 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:41:09.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MARKET HOUSE, THE SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Chagford

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 70058 87546

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 7087 CHAGFORD THE SQUARE, Chagford

6/162 The Market House - 20.2.52 GV II

Market house. Built in 1862 on site of former market house, modernised circa 1970. Granite stone rubble with granite ashlar detail; slate roof. Plan: octagonal market house facing south-east. The rear section has always contained public lavatories either side of a small room. The front was originally open but is now filled with small shops. Front door to central stairwell up to a first floor room in the roofspace. Exterior: the front side contains a large 2-centred arched doorway with chamfered surround. Its head is filled with an iron grille. There is a gable above containing an uninscribed plaque. The flanking 2 sides have now been filled with shops. The corner posts between has a battered plinths and soffit-chamfered caps. The lavatories each have a narrow 2-centred arch doorway and the rear room contains a large 2-light window with Decorated Gothic tracery. Pyramid roof has gabled dormers containing arch-headed fixed pane windows and, at the apex, a louvred lantern topped by a narrow spire and wrought iron weather vane. Interior modernised circa 1970. The site is that of a C16 market house and court house; first mentioned 1574. Source: Devon SMR.



Listing NGR: SX7005787547

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 94691

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing