PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1147542

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, SWARBY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147542 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 23:11:30.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, SWARBY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: North Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Aswarby and Swarby

National Grid Reference: TF 04707 40568

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 04 SW ASWARBY AND SWARBY SWARBY LANE (south side)

4/21 Parish Church of St. Mary and All Saints. 1.2.67 II*

Parish Church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1886-7, south aisle of 1886. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, plain tiled end leaded roofs with raised stone coped gables. West tower, nave, north and south aisles and chancel. 3 stage C15 west tower with chamfered plinth and string courses, stepped set back buttresses and embattled parapet with angle pinnacles. In the belfry stage are paired louvered openings with pointed heads to the lights, trefoils and hollow chamfered surrounds. To the west is a tall 3 light window matching the rest to the ground floor and to the middle stage a 4 centred arched panel containing 2 tiers of paired blank openings, they are repeated on the side walls. In the west wall of the south aisle is a C19 single light window with cusped tracery and moulded surround. The north aisle has a pair of C14 reticulated 3 light windows in rectangular surrounds and a blocked doorway with a plain ashlar surround. The C19 chancel has a pair of lancets to the north and the east window is of 3 lights with geometric tracery. On the south side is a blocked priest's door with chamfered surround and a single lancet. The south aisle has stepped buttresses with crockets and human head stops. C19 single light east window with cusped tracery. To the south are 3 two light windows with C14 shafted reveals but now with cusped C19 tracery and cambered arched heads. The south door has C14 reveals with paired shafts and fleurons but the head and hood are C19 work. Interior: 3 bay C13 north nave arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. C14 south arcade of 3 bays with hollow chamfered quatrefoil piers and floriate capitals to the labels. The 4 centred arches are continuously moulded with fillets to the outer order. C13 tower arch with double chamfered reveals, facetted capitals and pointed double chamfered arch. Tall C19 chancel arch, continuosly moulded with floriate capitals. To the north is a rood loft doorway with chamfered rectangular surround and a 4 centred arched doorway at higher level. Also a C13 carving of Christ in Majesty, the head of which is missing. In the chancel is a C14 piscina in the south wall with beast head supporter and C19 arched top. In the east wall is a C14 statue bracket with crocketed and pinnacled canopy. Fittings: Early C18 raised and fielded panelled pulpit with moulded cornice and intarsia stars. Otherwise all is C19, including the circular ashlar font with blank trefoil panels to the sides and octagonal legs. Monument: On the north wall of the chancel is a rectangular ashlar wall plaque to Anthony Williams, d. 1681. It has a moulded surround with a ramped top supporting a shield of arms and an obelisk. Beneath is a reset C15 corbel, now supporting a C19 book stand.

Listing NGR: TF0470740568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 192656

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing