This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THORNLEY HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THORNLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1147567

Location

THORNLEY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thornley-with-Wheatley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 183048

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 64 SW THORNLEY-WITH-WHEATLEY

4/162 Thornley Hall 13.2.67 (formerly listed as Thornley Hall, Garden Wall in front of Thornley Hall and Gateposts at Thornley Hall)

II

House, early C18th with C17th remains, much altered. Rendered rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys with attic. Facade has quoins with channeled rustication, continuous drip courses over ground and 1st floor windows, and a cyma moulded cornice gutter. The porch is gabled with a coping and 2 balls and a chamfered outer doorway with triangular head. On the lintel there is an inscription, difficult to read, but said by the VCH to be as follows: 'B.O. Michael Dovghtie 1605'. Inside the porch is a cupboard door, once in the dining room, inscribed 'EPM 1709'. The windows are sashed with no glazing bars in plain stone surrounds with 2 rebates and a chamfer. The ground-floor windows are larger, with 2 to the left of the porch and one to the right. The lst floor windows probably originally had a mullion and a transom, with 4 to the left and one to the right of the porch. Chimneys on the gables. The left-hand gable wall has, towards the rear, a one-light rebated and chamfered window, now unglazed and opening into a compartment divided from the dining room, possibly associated with an alteration in the fireplace arrangements. Under the apex is a circular chamfered opening to the attic. The rear wall has 2 projecting external chimney stacks, now with later Cl9th caps. Against the wall is a later extension. Inside no C17th features are visible.



Listing NGR: SD6341641070

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SD 63416 41070

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147567 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 03:29:31.

End of official listing