ROLLS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147574

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: ROLLS FARMHOUSE, SPARROWS FARM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROLLS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 23:50:15.

Location

Statutory Address: ROLLS FARMHOUSE, SPARROWS FARM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Terling

National Grid Reference: TL 75892 14064

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TERLING SPARROWS FARM ROAD TL 71 SE (south side) 5/156 Rolls Farmhouse

GV II

House, now 2 houses. Early C17, altered in C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing NE, with 2 axial stacks. Rear wings at both ends, probably C19, and single-storey lean-to extension between, roofed with red clay 'Roman' tiles. 2 storeys with attics. 3-window range of C20 sashes. Half-glazed door with marginal lights in C20 gabled porch. 3 feature gables. 3 C19/C20 diagonal shafts on each stack. Right return wall bricked on ground floor only. The interior is mainly plastered, with beams boxed in. Chamfered axial beams above first floor, with lamb's tongue stops. Original floorboards at first floor and attic. On first floor, small section of original oak panelling, painted, and original oak panelled cupboard door. House to right not examined internally. The farm, with 50 acres, was let by Sir Thomas Mildmay from 1581 to 1617, when the freehold was sold to a London buyer (Essex Record Office, D/DRa T.63). The present house probably dates from then.

Listing NGR: TL7589214064

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115504

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing