FRAMPTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1147586
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1951
Statutory Address:
FRAMPTON HALL, MIDDLEGATE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRAMPTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147586 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 03:26:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRAMPTON HALL, MIDDLEGATE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
Parish:
Frampton
National Grid Reference:
TF 32516 39352

Details

TF 3239-3339 FRAMPTON MIDDLEGATE ROAD (north side)

15/59 Frampton Hall 19.11.51 G.V. II*

Small country house. Built in 1725 for Coney Tunnard, extended late C18 and skilfully remodelled in matching style in 1873. Red brick in Flemish bond with limestone ashlar and render dressings. Lead roof. Red brick wall stacks in Tudor revival style with corbelled out casteilated tops. Originally 5 bay, 3 storey, plus basement, box, with moulded ashlar plinth and bands, cornice, brick panelled parapet. Rusticated giant corner pilasters. The central entrance bay is in ashiar with rusticated quoins, slightly advanced and crowned with a segmental pediment containing an inscribed cartouche bearing date 1725 surmounted by a rabbit (Coney symbol). The central 8 panel door with plain overlight is flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters supporting an open segmental pediment bearing an urn. The door is reached up a flight of 4 steps flanked by lions and 4 semi-circular steps. Over the door is a plain sash with moulded ashlar architrave and pilasters, supporting a cornice with grotesque keystone. The second floor central smaller window has scrolls to the base. The central openings are flanked by pairs of plain sashes with splayed rubbed brick arches and panelled ashlar keystones. The 1725 block was extended late C18 by flanking 2 storey 2 bay wings. These in turn were altered C19 and the right hand wing extended by a further bay in matching style, re-using old materials. The rusticated corner pilasters are in render, the parapet has recessed panels with blank shields between. The keystones of the central windows on the right hand wing bear the arms of the C19 owner, Major C. T. J. Moore. Beyond to the right is a single storey bay with semi-circular headed window. In the left hand side is a 2 storey C19 ashiar bay window bearing a coat of arms. To the rear is an added C19 canted entrance porch and on the flanking wings are single fine cast lead rainwater hoppers, bearing the date 1725 and the Coney rebus. The lead plaques to the downpipe are decorated with beasts and birds. These all appear to have been moved from the side walls when the wings were added. At the rear of the right hand wing is a rainwater head inscribed "CTJM 1873". Interior. The house retains a number of original features which have been carefully incorporated into the remodelling of C19. The dogleg stair, which appears to have been reset, has 3 balusters to the tread, one fluted, twisted and turned. The strings are carved with scrolled leaves. Overdoor in entrance hall in stucco with dentil cornice and shells. The principal rooms have full height bolection moulded panelling, that in the right hand room with a dentillated cornice. The joinery has been amended to suit the C19 alterations. The wing on the left contains a C19 ballroom with a reused C18 bolection moulded marble fireplace surround. In the basement, the side walls of the original house contain openings, one with contemporary glazing, showing that the house has been extended. C19 piaster ceiling over first floor landing. First floor room has egg and dart frieze with scrolled modillion cornice and Corinthian pilasters. C18 marble fire surrounds with round corners to the opening used throughout. Coney Tunnard who built the house was High Sheriff of the County.

Listing NGR: TF3251639352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
191975
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16546/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].