Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147589

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987



Ordnance survey map of MILLINGTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147589 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 00:06:53.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

National Grid Reference: TM 17021 23035


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


THORPE-LE-SOKEN COLCHESTER ROAD TM 12 SE (north side) 5/77 Millington House,


House. Early C17, altered in C20. Timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Main range of 4 bays facing E, with axial stack in left bay, and 4-bay crosswing to left, with external stack to rear. External stack at right end of main range, now enclosed by C20 extension beyond, projecting to rear. 2 storeys. 6-window range of C20 casements, and one original window on first floor with 2 ovolo mullions and modern glazing. C20 door, and garage doors in right extension. The crosswing is jettied to the front, with exposed joists of vertical section and 2 C20 brackets. Jowled posts, straight and curved primary bracing. In the main range the 2 bays at the right end were originally divided axially into 2 service rooms (partition now removed), the axial beam chamfered at the front only, without stops, with plain joists of vertical section. The next bay has 2 chamfered longitudinal beams with plain stops, and plain joists of vertical section. Large wood-burning hearth facing to right, of 330 mm brickwork, in short chimney bay. The crosswing is divided originally into 2 ground-floor rooms, with original wattle and daub infill inscribed with a diamond pattern. The binding beams are chamfered without stops, with plain joists of vertical section. On the first floor there was originally a similar partition, now removed. The tiebeams are chamfered with broach stops, and the plain joists of vertical section frame an original ceiling. Shutter groove in front tiebeam. Hearth on first floor with depressed arch and chamfered jambs, originally plastered, now stripped. Composite roof over main range, mainly of clasped purlin construction, with butt-purlin section in front pitch. RCHM 4. An old photograph showing it as 3 tenements appears in E.A. Wood, A History of Thorpe-le-Soken to the year 1890, 1975.

Listing NGR: TM1702123035


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120306

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Wood, E A , A History of Thorpe le Soken to the Year 1890, (1975)

End of official listing