CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147651

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1988

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147651 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 22:01:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bishopsteignton

National Grid Reference: SX 90224 77017

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOPSTEIGNTON LUTON

SX 97 NW

8/59 Chapel of St John the Evangelist -

GV II

Chapel of ease to Bishopsteignton parish church. Plans by an amateur architect, William Tozer of Teignmouth, drawnup in 1852. Grey limestone rubble with Bathstone dressings ; steep red tiled roof with sprocketted eaves. Plan: A small chapel sited in farm land just outside the village of Luton. Nave with west end bellcote, chancel, south porch, small lean-to north-east vestry. Some Decorated, some Perpendicular details. Exterior: Chancel with platband below the east window, returning on both north and south sides. 3-light Decorated east window with carved label stops ; cusped triangular window on south side ; small lean-to north east vestry with a stone stack with truncated shaft. Buttressed nave with angle buttresses at the west and 3-light square-headed cusped windows, two to the north side, one to the south side. Gabled west end bellcote with 2 small slit windows with a heavy hoodmould, 2-light Decorated west window central west end buttress. Pretty gabled south porch, the side walls with open, trefoil-headed timber arcading on low stone walls. Interior: Modest. Plastered walls, brick rere arches to windows and door ; double- chamfered chancel arch ; collar rafter nave roof with straight struts below the collar ; boarded canted wagon to chancel with roll-moulded ribs and a pretty painted scheme of stencilling and roundels dating from 1884, commemorating Revd. W.P. Ogle : co-eval diaper designs on the walls have been removed. The chancel has a simple tile pattern on the floor, a probably early C20 timber nowy-headed reredos and a plain 1852 communion rail. The sill of the south window is brought down as a recessed seat with a chamfered arch ; vestry door with cranked lintel on north side ; heavy string course rises as a hoodmould to the vestry door and south side seat. Plain nave with openwork timber drum pulpit ; font with deep octagonal bowl and clustered marble shafts to the stem on a moulded plinth. Benches, some designated "Free" with Y- shaped ends. Memorials and Glass Brass plaque in chancel commemorating Revd. W.P. Ogle, died 1884. East window, circa 1880s, probably by Drake of Exeter ; quarry and border west window "removed from the mother church" (inscription), in 1886.

Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SX9022477017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 85722

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing