THORPE BAPTIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147653

Date first listed: 30-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: THORPE BAPTIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THORPE BAPTIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147653 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:52:56.

Location

Statutory Address: THORPE BAPTIST CHURCH, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken

National Grid Reference: TM 17985 22380

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THORPE-LE-SOKEN HIGH STREET TM 1622-1722 (north-east side) 8/85 Thorpe Baptist Church

GV II

Baptist church. 1803. Timber framed, weatherboarded and roughcast, roofed with old grey slates. Rectangular plan facing SW, with single-storey block to rear. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 C19/early C20 sashes of 16 lights. First floor, 2 original sashes of 4 + 8 lights, with crown glass. C20 double doors, with original gabled canopy on scrolled brackets, boarded later on left side only. Front elevation roughcast, remainder weatherboarded. Hipped roof of shallow pitch with lead hip-ridges and long overhanging eaves with paired brackets. The left return has on the ground floor 2 original sashes of 16 lights, and 2 of 12 lights, and on the first floor 2 original sashes of 4 + 8 lights. The right return has on the ground floor 2 original sashes of 16 lights and on the first floor 2 original sashes of 4 + 8 lights. Most of the original sashes contain crown glass. The rear block has a hipped slate roof. The rear elevation of the main hall has on the upper storey 2 sashes of 12 lights with semi-circular heads. The interior is of one storey with at the SW end a gallery with panelled front supported on cast iron stanchions, added in 1820 (E.A. Wood, A History of Thorpe-le-Soken to the year 1890, 1975, 64, 105).

Listing NGR: TM1798722385

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120314

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wood, E A , A History of Thorpe le Soken to the Year 1890, (1975), 64 105

End of official listing