This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RAYNE HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RAYNE HALL

List entry Number: 1147693

Location

RAYNE HALL, SHALFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rayne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115051

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RAYNE SHALFORD ROAD TL 7222 2/5/53 RAYNE ALL GREEN 8/174 Rayne Hall GV II*

House. Early/Mid C14 origin extensively altered for Sir William Capell late C15 with later alterations and additions. Timber framed and rough rendered with some brickwork. Red plain tiled roofs. Red brick chimney stack with square plinth and 3 octagonal shafts to right of central range. Left single chimney stack and rear large square attached shaft stack. Coved eaves cornice. Central range with gabled forward wing to left and gabled crosswing to right. This crosswlng with long wall jetty with moulded bressumer to right return. 2 storeys and attics. 2:4:2 window range of mainly cross transom casements. Ground floor windows to left, garage door to right. Central gabled porch with 6 panelled door. Rear building joined to the hall by a passage. Of complex plan. The central C14 range with a long wall jetty now underbuilt. Roof arch braced to principal collars, with secondary collars above and jowled principal rafters. Rear stair tower may relate to this build. The extension to the north end with crown post roof and collar purlins and the east chimney appear to date from some time soon after 1486. C16 south wing probably built for Sir Gyles Capell. Solid tread staircase. The west extension to the north end early C17, presumably built during Henry Capell's residence 1614-1622. The rear outbuilding may have been a medieval kitchen but was so altered C17 onwards, that its age is uncertain. The hall in the centre range has heavy moulded ceiling beams and above the fireplace are 5 brick arches with 4 centred heads. The walls are lined with C16 linenfold panelling, other rooms lined with C17 panelling. C16 doorways with 4 centred heads, anchor badge of the Capells in spandrels. Original mullion windows, original doors. RCHM 4.

Listing NGR: TL7321722962

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 73217 22962

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147693 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 04:35:14.

End of official listing