THE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1147704
Date first listed:
19-Nov-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
26-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, CHURCH END ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147704 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 22:32:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PRIORY, CHURCH END ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
Parish:
Freiston
National Grid Reference:
TF 37749 43693

Details

TF 34 SE FREISTON CHURCH END ROAD

12/81 The Priory (formerly listed as 19.11.51 Vicarage)

G.V. II*

Former vicarage, now house. Built on the site of Frieston Priory and possibly incorporating some earlier stonework. Late C16, C17 with early C18 and early C19 alterations. Red brick in English and Flemish bonds with ashlar quoins and band. Plain and clay tiled roof with brick coped tumbled gables and kneelers. 2 gable and single ridge stacks with moulded plinth and pairs of diagonally set brick shafts. The rear range has 2 external wall stacks with diagonally set shafts and knopped gable, with moulded ashlar kneeler. Parallel ranges plan, the rear range is C16, the front range a C17 addition refronted c.1720. 2 storey plus garret, 7 bay front, with central 6 panel door with overlight, panelled reveals, fluted pilasters and frieze to pedimented doorcase, flanked by 3 glazing bar sashes, with rubbed brick splayed arches. To first floor 7 similar windows. The gable walls have plinths and circular lights to the garret. Interior. Retains late C16 dogleg staircase with large balusters, moulded eandrail, knopped newel, pulvinated frieze to closed string. Beneath the stairs a small cellar with stone walls, possibly a remnant of the Priory. In the rear range on ground and first floors are deeply moulded beams each bearing different elaborately moulded stops. The front range has early C18 panelling in part, mantle shelves and shutters. Clasped purl in roofs. The property was held by the King following the Dissolution of the Monasteries. It was disposed of between 1714 and 1729 to the Dryden family, which may date the re-fronting. Source: Thompson, History of Boston.

Listing NGR: TF3774943693

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
191997
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Thompson, , History of Boston

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].