This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

(FORDER HOUSE) INCLUDING OUTBUILDING IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: (FORDER HOUSE) INCLUDING OUTBUILDING IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST

List entry Number: 1147710

Location

(FORDER HOUSE) INCLUDING OUTBUILDING IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST, 50, FORD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Moretonhampstead

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 85080

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MORETONHAMPSTEAD FORD STREET (north side), SX 7586 Moretonhampstead 8/147 No. 50,( Forder House)including - 23.8.55 outbuilding immediately north- east GV II

House. Circa 1800. Whitewashed plastered granite with roughcast front. Bitumen coated slate hipped roof with lead rools to hips and ridge, the front pitch has been reclad in asbestos slates. Wooden plated frieze of eaves to front. Brick chimneystack at either end of main range and another on outer side of rear service wing now within later outshut. Single depth plan with 2 principal rooms, one on either side of wide stair hall and with service wing containing kitchen and dairy at the rear of the left-hand dining room, forming an overall L-shaped plan. Further service rooms added in a 2-storey outshut on the outer west side of the service wing. 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-window range. Ground and first floor outer windows are tripartite sashes, 12 panes to centre light and 4 panes to the side lights; ground floor in cambered arched openings. Centre first floor 12-pane sash. Central doorway with Tuscan porch, the columns supporting an entablature with a fluted frieze; the door surround has pilasters and entablature with a fluted frieze and fielded panel reveals; the door has 6 fielded panels, the top 2 panels glazed. The side walls are blind, and the rear is also blind except for a tall 18-pane fixed light stair window in moulded frame, and a wide hipped roof dormer alcove at centre. The service wing has late C18 5-light casement with glazing bars to kitchen on ground floor, small 4-pane window to dairy on right and 2 later C19 first floor sashes. In the angle there is a small C20 leanto outshut with a C20 cantilevered lavatory chamber above clad in corrugated iron. Interior: wide central stair hall with fine geometric staircase with open string, stick balusters and inlaid moulded handrail wreathed over a column newel. The balustrade continues over a spacious landing on the first floor. Both the main rooms have good Adam style chimneypieces with festoons, runs and marble surrounds to fine cast iron grates. The fireplaces flanked by round-headed niches. The drawing room to right and the first floor rooms have finely moulded cornices and friezes. The hall and landing have fine modillion cornice with festoons and acanthus leaves. Throughout the house the joinery is complete including moulded doorframes and panelled doors complete with the original brass drop handles. The front windows have panelled internal shutters. In the service wing there are some C18 2-panel doors which may be reused. The kitchen has a large fireplace and surprisingly it has a wooden chimneypiece with a moulded architrave, fluted frieze and moulded cornice. Including outbuilding at rear: probably late C18 detached service range. Plastered granite rubble with Belgium clay tile roof with hipped ends. Left-hand end has chimney with brick shaft. Wide cart entrance at centre with timber lintel. Interior: fireplace at left (west) end, with chamfered cambered lintel. Forder House is remarkably intact and has been virtually unaltered since it was built. It is unusual in having interior features of such high quality for a circa 1800 house that still has a single depth plan and a relatively simple exterior.

Listing NGR: SX7521886180

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 75218 86180

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147710 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:36:49.

End of official listing