Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147719.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 15:00:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
Greetham with Somersby
National Grid Reference:
TF 32801 71412



2/65 Church of St. Andrew

14.9.66 II*

Parish church. C13, C15, restored mid C19, repaired 1930. Dressed greenstone with ashlar dressings and brick patching. Slate roofs. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east chancel and the porch. Tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel. C15 tower with clasping buttresses and set on a chamfered plinth with moulded band over. Parapet with single corner gargoyles and finials,of 3 stages to the west side and 2 to the north and south sides with bands. West side with moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. Above is a single arched restored C15 window with 3 lights, panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Single rectangular stair light with 2 similar lights to the south side. East and west sides with single ogee arched bell chamber openings. The west wall of the north aisle has a single lancet with hood mould and label stops. The buttressed north wall with blocked pointed chamfered arched doorway and hood mould. to the left is a single C15 segmental pointed arched window with 3 lights, cusped panel tracery and hood mould. Diagonal buttressed east chancel with single C15 arched 3 light window with panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south chancel has a single C15 2 light window with cusped tracery under a flat arch, hood mould and label stops. The south nave with single C15 arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. The gabled porch is set on a chamfered plinth and has a double chamfered arched entrance with hood mould and decorative label stops. The side walls each with single small arched light. Inner pointed chamfered arched doorway. To the left is a single lancet with single left grotesque label stop. Interior. 2 bay C13 nave arcade with circular pier and octagonal east respond, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Tall C15 double chamfered tower arch, the inner order supported on octagonal responds with moulded capitals, sides of the responds with concave moulding. Double chamfered chancel arch. C15 octagonal ashlar font. C17 altar rails, the large balusters with some fluted moulding to the top. Under the altar is a C14 incised floor slab to a priest, the figure, under a canopy, originally part brass. On the south nave wall are brasses of a male and female figure with further C13 brasses of shields, smaller figures and inscription to Richard Lytleburye, his wife and family, 1521 and 1523. There is a further C16 brass of a knight in armour. Single C18 floor slab. The estate supported the choir boys of Lincoln Cathedral.

Listing NGR: TF3280171412


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05327/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Miles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].