MOHUNS OTTERY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147733

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: MOHUNS OTTERY FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MOHUNS OTTERY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 10:58:53.

Location

Statutory Address: MOHUNS OTTERY FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Luppitt

National Grid Reference: ST 18929 05577

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details





ST10NE LUPPITT Mohuns Ottery Farmhouse 6/51 22.2.55 II

GV

Farmhouse. Completely rebuilt in 1868 after the old manor house burnt down. Local stone and flint rubble with Beerstone ashlar quoins and detail; stone rubble stacks topped with C20 brick (replacing former Beerstone ashlar chimneyshafts) slate roof. PLAN: U-plan house. The main block faces south and it has a 4-room plan with the entrance hall left of centre with a 2-storey porch in front. The centre rooms are heated by axial stacks and left (west) end room has a rear lateral stack which it shares with the kitchen behind. Each end 2-room plan service blocks project at right angles to rear. The left rear block includes the kitchen. The right rear wing has now been divided off as separate accommodation. House is 2 storeys. Tudor Gothic style. EXTERIOR: asymmetrical 1:1:3-window front of Beerstone Tudor-style windows with chamfered mullions and all except one have hoodmoulds. The porch is mostly ashlar; it is gabled with cusped bargeboards and has canted corners with corbelled shoulders. The outer arch of the porch is a 4-centred arch with moulded surround and capitals to the main shafts. It has well-carved early Renaissance carving in spandrels and hoodmould. This is restored but mid C16, undoubtedly rescued from the burnt out shell of Peter Carew's manor house here. The front doorway behind this one is also a restored and reset mid C16 stone doorway. It has an elliptical head and Peter Carew's initials are carved in the spandrels. It contains a C19 panelled door. The main roof is hipped each end. In the back and rear blocks the windows have ashlar flat arches over and contain C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars. The rear blocks are gable-ended with cusped bargeboards. INTERIOR: contains a great deal of original, that is to say 1868, joinery detail. Mohuns Ottery Farmhouse is a complete rebuild of the old manor house which probably stood a little further north (the cider house (q.v.) was probably part of the old house). Mohuns Ottery, alias Ottery Fleming, was Otri in Domesday. By 1303 the Carews had succeeded the Mohuns and established a large house and park. The house, which probably had been rebuilt by Sir Peter Carew (1512-75), was burnt down in 1868, and later rebuilt as a modern farmhouse. Sir Peter's older brother, Sir George was, as Henry VIII's Vice Admiral, lost on the Mary Rose in 1545.



Listing NGR: ST1892905577

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 86604

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing