This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CULMSTOCK BRIDGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CULMSTOCK BRIDGE

List entry Number: 1147741

Location

CULMSTOCK BRIDGE, THE STRAND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Culmstock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 95916

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CULMSTOCK THE STRAND, CULMSTOCK ST 11 SW 10/67 Culmstock Bridge - 24.10.51 GV II



Road bridge over the River Culm. Medieval origins; much rebuilt after severe flood damage in 1774; C20 alterations and repairs. Local limestone rubble including dressed voussoirs and blocks used for the piers and cutwaters. 6-span bridge. The southernmost arch has been replaced by flat concrete lintel in the C20. The other 5 are segmental arches of different spans and heights. The piers project both sides with pointed cutwaters and some are continued up to the parapet to provide refuges, 3 upstream (east) and 2 downstream (west). Rubble parapet with rounded ashlar coping. This has been replaced with railings over the C20 arch. The road ramps over the bridge but the highest point is north of centre. According to Polwhele one arch was completely swept away in the 1774 flood and was replaced by 2. Thus there were originally 5 arches and are now 6. Its medieval origins are indicated by a bequest for repairs made in 1412. Source: C. Henderson and E. Jervoise Old Devon Bridges (1938) p.54

Listing NGR: ST1011113764

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Jervoise, E , Old Devon Bridges, (1938), 54

National Grid Reference: ST 10111 13764

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147741 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 12:01:47.

End of official listing