CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1147744

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147744 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 01:37:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Greetham with Somersby

National Grid Reference: TF 34922 72049

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOMERSBY CHURCH LANE TF 37 SW Bag Enderby (north side)

2/67 Church of 14.9.66 St. Margaret

G.V. II*

Parish church. C15, restored c.1956. Dressed greenstone, some red brick patching. Lead and plain tile roofs. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave and east chancel. Nave with parapet to south and north. Buttressed and set on a plinth, with moulded band over to all but the north chancel and porch. Tower, nave, south porch and chancel. Angle buttressed tower of 2 stages with bands, parapet and single corner gargoyles. West wall with single C15 arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, moulded surround, hood mould and head label stops. In the band above is a single carved head. 4 arched bell chamber openings with cusped tracery, moulded surrounds, hood moulds and human head label stops. North nave wall with single C15 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights and tracery under a flat arch. To the left is a moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. Further left is a single segmental arched C15 window with 3 ogee arched and cusped lights, tracery and hood mould. The east chancel wall has a single arched C15 window with 3 lights, cusped tracery and hood mould. The south chancel has 2 C15 windows each with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights, cusped tracery and hood moulds, the window on the left is segmental arched and heavily restored, that on the right is under a flat arch. In the south nave is a single segmental arched C15 window with 3 lights, cusped tracery and hood mould. The gabled porch with brick cambered arched entrance and key block has a single rectangular opening in the east wall and a single similar blocked opening in the west wall. Inner moulded arched doorway with C17 plank and stud door. To the left is a single C15 window with 2 ogee arched and cusped lights and cusped tracery under a flat arch with hood mould. Interior. Triple chamfered restored tower arch, chamfering to arch only. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner order supported on octagonal responds, the capitals extended to form attached colonnettes. Restored C15 screen with arched and cusped openings and cusped tracery. South chancel with ogee arched and cusped piscina, the north with rectangular aumbry. The south nave has a trefoil arched piscina. to the left of the south door is a trefoil arched stoup. C15 octagonal ashlar font, the decoration to the sides of the bowl include shields, a figure and lute, a quatrefoil in circle, a hart licking leaves of the Tree of Live and St. Mary with dead child. Font set into the remnants of incised C15 floor slabs. Memorial to the family of Andrew Gedney and his wife, 1591, the inscription tablet decorated with surround of strapwork with single skull over. Above are single carved male and female figures with central prayer desks and shield, behind each figure are 2 further figures of children, either side are single Ionic pilasters. Entablature with further inscription over. The memorial to William Langhorne Burton and his wife, 1739, has an urn on the crown. Fragments of C15 glass to the south west window of the chancel and the nave windows. Alfred Lord Tennyson's father was Rector of Bag Enderby and the adjoining village of Somersby from 1808-31.

Listing NGR: TF3492272049

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195993

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing