WELLINGORE HALL STREET
SK 95 NE (south side)
1/76 Wellingore Hall and attached
23.8.67 RC Church of St Augustine
Country house, now offices and flats, with attached private chapel now RC Church.
Palladian Villa, built c1760 for Neville family, extended c1800 and again 1876 by
J MacVicar Anderson. Limestone ashlar with slate hipped roofs. Many ashlar moulded
stacks. Plinth, first floor band and moulded cornice with coped parapet. Central
block, 5-bay, 3-storey including basement, piano nobile and mezzanine floors.
Slightly projecting central 3 bays crowned with a pediment. North entrance front
has projecting single storey porch with moulded cornice and parapet topped with
ball finials. Moulded ashlar door surround with double keystone and pediment
supported on brackets. C18 double, panel doors. To the left a single and then
a pair of small plain sashes in moulded surround with double keystone, to the right
a set of steps and a doorway, with beyond a small plain sash in similar surround.
Above 5 larger plain sashes with moulded surrounds and hoods. Above again, 5 small
plain sashes with moulded surrounds. The pediment contains and oeil-de-boeuf
window. This block is flanked by early C19, 2-storey canted bay windows with
moulded cornices, each with 3 small plain sashes in moulded surrounds with double
keystone below, and 3 large plain sashes in moulded surrounds with moulded hoods
above. These bays are again flanked by late C19, 2 storey plus attic wings. A
single bay to the east and 3 bays to the west. The first 2 western bays and the
eastern bay have plain sashes below in moulded surrounds with double keystones,
and above large plain sashes with moulded surrounds and hoods, above are through
eaves dormers with plain sashes, moulded surrounds and pediments supported on
brackets. The third projecting western bay has a 2-storey canted bay with plain
sashes, and a similar through eaves dormer above. To the east is the projecting
Roman Catholic church, described below. The south garden front is identical, except
for the lower windows of the central 3 bays, which are round treaded, with moulded
arches and a moulded impost band, the central opening has double glazed doors, with
2-light casements either side, and the early C19 canted bays which have round headed
first floor windows with flush surrounds. Beyond to the east is a lower 2-storey
wing added in 1885. INTERIOR: Central hall has resited C19 staircase with plaster
ceiling. 2 upper rooms have Rococco style plaster ceilings, and another has a Neo-
classical style plaster ceiling. Former private chapel, now Roman Catholic church.
1878 by J MacVicar Anderson in Neo-Norman style, restored after fire damage 1885.
Limestone ashlar and rock faced stone with a slate roof. Single storey over a high
basement. 6-bay nave with apsidal north end and north east vestry and sacristy.
Orientated north-south. Moulded ashlar tall plinth, first floor band, moulded
ashlar cornice and parapet, plus coped gables with cross finials. South wall is
adjoining Wellingore Hall. West elevation has a small doorway and thin slit openings
on the ground floor. Above 5 pairs of roundheaded lancets, connected by a continuous
cill band and moulded impost band. Each pair of windows has a single central column
and three-quarter column shaft responds, with stiff leaf capitals and moulded bases.
The apsidal north end has a blank ground floor, with above 9 bays of blind arcading
with alternating niches behind, articulated in the same way as the western windows.
The apse has a stone roof. To the east, the vestry and sacristy with a pair of
round headed windows to each floor, with moulded arches and pilasters. At the north
east corner is a circular staircase and bell tower, 3-storey, topped with a cornical
stone roof and a fleur-de-lys finial. The ground floor has a doorway with staff
mould surround, and a round headed window with moulded arch and imposts. Above
are 2 similar windows. The third storey is open with 8 round headed arches with
moulded tops and pilasters between. The east elevation is rock faced stone with
ashlar dressings. The ground floor is masked by a 2-flight staircase with a solid
coped balustrade, leading to the main entrance. Above a pair of round headed windows
to the north, with moulded arches and pilasters, then another pair of similar though
narrower windows. Set back to the south are 3 large circular windows, with moulded
arched tops, and pilasters, above again a 2 tall moulded ashlar chimney. The main
doorway, has a round headed, staff mould surround with double doors, and above a
shield inscribed 'A D 1878, Rebuilt 1885', topped by a moulded gable surmounted
by a cross finial. INTERIOR: 6-bay nave, the south bay contains a raised choir
gallery, originally the family pew. This is supported on 3 round headed stone
moulded arches decorated with zig-zag, with 2 square piers and 2 square responds,
with moulded bases, staff mould piers and stiff-leaf capitals, topped by a band
of stiff-leaf and an iron balustrade. The west wall has 5 pairs of tall round headed
windows, with deeply moulded arches, grey marble columns and stiff leaf capitals.
These capitals are linked by a band of stiff-leaf which incorporated corbels which
support the roof timbers. This band continues across the north wall at the impost
level of the large niche, which has a round arch with zig-zag decoration. There
is a small round headed piscina, with shafts. The east wall has the same stiff-leaf
band. The 2 northern bays are blank, with only a round headed doorway to the
sacristy and the 3 southern bays have large round headed arches opening into the
groin vaulted south aisle. These arches are decorated with zig-zag, have stiff-
leaf capitals and square piers with attached half columns of grey marble on moulded
basis. The aisle has a corresponding arcade, and round headed doorways at either
end with arches decorated with zig-zag, plus a central altar against the south wall.
The sacristy and vestry retain their original fittings, with a vaulted parish room
below. C19 wooden roof, plain octagonal stone pulpit and wooden pews. To the north
is a large free standing marble altar and reredos. The front of the altar has 5
figures standing within a 5-bay arcade, rising above and behind is a stepped reredos
with foliate reliefs, and in the centre a tabernacle with marble columns. Above
a lantern supported on marble columns with round arches, supporting a square dome
with crocketed pinnacles at the corners.
Listing NGR: SK9831256533